Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out that our 4th gen U.S. Subarus are pre-wired for the rear fog light. Rear fog lights are mandatory in all EU countries. My EU contact advised that 2013 OBs there are using left rear backup light as a rear fog light. They have it wired there and instead of the white bulb that we have there, they have there 21 W RED wedge bulb (brake-type bulb). That it wired to their fog light switch on dash board.
I am in process of having this option implemented on my car and will post results, if I see any interest out there. 21W wedge red bulbs are not that common on these shores; I ordered a couple of them from U.K. on eBay.
I am planning to wire it to the dash board, adding a switch next to the traction control switch. Right now it's an empty space with a dummy rectangular switch. I just took it off and will put an OEM dash board rear fog light switch.
By the way, even the cabin fuse box cover clearly shows fuse# 1 description as: TRAIL - R. FOG.....
To be continued.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,676 Posts
This has been brought up before but no one ever did any further research. Seems odd that they would keep that wiring on the NA model when rear fogs are not even used in NA. It is something I would consider if the wiring harness supports it.

Keep us posted. Do you have the full service manual? It would have wiring diagrams of everything. I will check mine when I get back from holidays.

Just sitting in the airport bored so I checked. No reference...directly...to a rear fog harness.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

Oh, great! That's the extra-bright left rear tail light that's supposed
to be reserved for [drumroll] FOG! But here in the USofA, clueless,
Volvo-driving, polo moms leave their blinding bozo-beacons blazing
24/7 -- to impress us peasants with their overpriced moronmobiles.

...if you hook it up, please save it for low visibility ONLY,

Looby

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This has been brought up before but no one ever did any further research. Seems odd that they would keep that wiring on the NA model when rear fogs are not even used in NA. It is something I would consider if the wiring harness supports it.

Keep us posted. Do you have the full service manual? It would have wiring diagrams of everything. I will check mine when I get back from holidays.

Just sitting in the airport bored so I checked. No reference...directly...to a rear fog harness.
If you remove the rear driver's side cargo panel, there is an OEM open socket (white) with nothing plugged in - its by the rear 12V cig. lighter socket. I suspect that is the rear fog plug in.
But the second RFog access wire is at the trailer hitch harness; it has one dedicated wire for RFog that is controlled by fuse # 1. If you remove fuse # 1 (blue 15 Amp) your trailer hitch left/right/brake circuits still work fine, only the RFog wire is dead (black wire AFTER the aftermarket hitch harness is plugged into OEM socket).
Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, great! That's the extra-bright left rear tail light that's supposed
to be reserved for [drumroll] FOG! But here in the USofA, clueless,
Volvo-driving, polo moms leave their blinding bozo-beacons blazing
24/7 -- to impress us peasants with their overpriced moronmobiles.

...if you hook it up, please save it for low visibility ONLY,

Looby
No worries Looby. The rear red fog light IS for low visibility only! Likewise, front fog lights although 80% people have the front fog lights on all the time - for some unknown reason to me!
My rear red fog light (equivalent of red brake light = 21 W) will be independently controlled by the dash board switch that I am putting next to the traction control switch, below the electronic brake).

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Fuse # 1 (15 Amps) is the rear fog/trailer circuit. Just take the fuse cover out and read the label on that cover...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
You know, kind of odd they did not incorporate these in stateside Subaru's. Just about all Euro cars have them as we see them everyday on the highways. Sure does help in poor visibility!

Let us know how it goes and good catch!:29:

Deanski

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
I think before I would begine the wiring, cutting into harness etc. I would look more closely, if your correct and its pre-wired then there will be a harness connector back in the rear. You may just require a sub-harness and the bulb. So does the Bulb insert in the back up assembly along side the White bulb or replace it? I assume they both use the White lens, just the bulb is different?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think before I would begine the wiring, cutting into harness etc. I would look more closely, if your correct and its pre-wired then there will be a harness connector back in the rear. You may just require a sub-harness and the bulb. So does the Bulb insert in the back up assembly along side the White bulb or replace it? I assume they both use the White lens, just the bulb is different?
Yes - I am correct! And "yes" the white lens remains the same but the bulb is different. You put red (21 W brake wedge bulb), instead of white in the left (driver's side) backup bulb socket. In EU on 2013 OBs they have a RED LED bulb there....equivalent to 21 W (brake)wedge bulb. I have yet to find a strong enough RED LED wedge bulb on these shores to use that type of bulb. All RED LED bulbs that I see here look flimsy and use red reflective base instead of real RED diodes; i.e. diodes with red lenses instead of white. Pictures of these RED LEDs on various US websites are deceiving; they show red background but the diodes are still white.
You cut the existing positive wire at backup light socket and bring an additonal wire there from the trailer hitch harness/plug and plug it into the existing backup bulb socket. I put quick connectors there so that I can always switch the function back to backup light.
I have identified that wire from hitch harness by use of electrical connector tester.
For those, who do not have trailer hitch installed, you can identify rear fog wire/circuit at the OEM trailer hitch plug that is under the driver's side cargo panel.
It's one of the "corner" pins on the OEM trailer white rectangular hitch plug. You need electrical circuit tester to identify that pin.
It's live, when fuse # 1 is in and it's dead when fuse # 1 is removed. So, obviously one has to convert fuse # 1 into a circuit breaker; i.e. a switch on your dash board panel, next to traction control swicth. I have also tested the hitch harness by removing fuse# 1; all other functions of the trailer hitch work such as turn signals, etc. Fuse # 1 just controls the rear fog light circuit. This is not mentioned in the manual/handbook (cabin fuse section with description of fuses) but it is clearly marked on the cabin fuse box cover that has a label on it: TRAILER R. FOG!
To be continued...... (after I get the 21W wedge from U.K. and after I get an aux. switch to put into the dash, replacing dummy plug/switch there - the spot next to traction control switch). Removal of the dummy switch/plug was a real pain....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interested in updates. Subscribed.
Stay tuned...
I do have a 2013 OB wiring diagram but I don't have the time (and patience) to trace that circuit in and out of fuse # 1.
I prefer "hands on" testing....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OEM dummy plug removed

OEM dummy plug removed.
Rear fog light switch will go there....
Wedge rear fog bulb from eBay UK

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is/was some concern that you will end up with just one backup light. Well, those backup lights are for warning purposes anyway - in my opinion - they don't really illuminate anything... they just warn other cars/drivers, say in a parking lot, that you are backing up....and, if German TuV approved just one back up light and rear fog light in that backup light socket, that's enough for me.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
I found out that our 4th gen U.S. Subarus are pre-wired for the rear fog light. Rear fog lights are mandatory in all EU countries. My EU contact advised that 2013 OBs there are using left rear backup light as a rear fog light. They have it wired there and instead of the white bulb that we have there, they have there 21 W RED wedge bulb (brake-type bulb). That it wired to their fog light switch on dash board.
I am in process of having this option implemented on my car and will post results, if I see any interest out there. 21W wedge red bulbs are not that common on these shores; I ordered a couple of them from U.K. on eBay.
I am planning to wire it to the dash board, adding a switch next to the traction control switch. Right now it's an empty space with a dummy rectangular switch. I just took it off and will put an OEM dash board rear fog light switch.
By the way, even the cabin fuse box cover clearly shows fuse# 1 description as: TRAIL - R. FOG.....
To be continued.
Just maybe after plugging in the new harness, the front fog switch is tie into the rear, I can't see SOA having two master wiring harness's for the same automobile, speaking of lights only, It would be the same as added front fog lights the pigtail's and switch are there already on most vehicles and motorcycles except Gold Wings you have to add a switch, I would prefer plug in, to cut and splice any day. good luck!!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just maybe after plugging in the new harness, the front fog switch is tie into the rear, I can't see SOA having two master wiring harness's for the same automobile, speaking of lights only, It would be the same as added front fog lights the pigtail's and switch are there already on most vehicles and motorcycles except Gold Wings you have to add a switch, I would prefer plug in, to cut and splice any day. good luck!!
Well, I don't know why. Fuse # 1 clearly shows: Trailer R. Fog (on the cover of the cabin fuse box) while in the handbook it only shows Trailer... go figure!
The other functions of the trailer hitch must be on a different circuit - in my opinion and tests that I have done. I did not study which those circuits are; those are irrelevant to me with this mod.
The only thing I cut was the positive wire at the backup light bulb; I left both options open with quick connect connectors. I tapped into hitch harness (I did not cut or splice anything there...)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have also mentioned previously that there is an empty plug behind the rear cargo panel near the 12V cig. outlet. That plug (white) is exposed with nothing plugged in. I suspect that may be the rear fog harness - but I am not sure. It's a specialty small flat plug with 4 pin connectors. But, since I don't have access to that type of plug I did not test it if indeed it's a rear fog light harness. But even if it was, one would still have to run a wire from that plug to the rear backup bulb. That portion of our OBs is not pre-wired!

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
the one you order might have a Y pig tail, plugs into your plug that you found and also to the brack light harness, maybe.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
OEM dummy plug removed.
Rear fog light switch will go there....
Wedge rear fog bulb from eBay UK
Do you have a part number for this OEM Rear Fog Light Switch? Very interested to see if you can incorporate a stock switch into the blank panels...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I don't. From my previous experience (2 previous Subarus) I think any swicth will fit there. I will let you know, if it fits, once I get it from eBay (it's in transit to me).
The dummy plug is exactly 35 mm x 20 mm - so, basically, any switch with such size will fit in there....doesn't have to be OEM Subaru....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the one you order might have a Y pig tail, plugs into your plug that you found and also to the brack light harness, maybe.
Maybe..but I already pre-wired the backup light to rear fog light/bulb socket from the trailer harness. Removing panels is a pain and I don't want to do it again. You always break some clips but luckilly I have a great supply of those so I was able to replace those.... I had to remove all panels to get to the trailer hitch, then most panels on the rear gate, run wire through the left rubber hose between rear gate and car's body; exposing the rear headliner (partially opening it) and running wire through rear gate frame cavities to the backup bulb area. I am in point of no return on this mod...LOL
There are many odd design things on 13 OBs, besides the headlight lower bulb replacement. This may be one of them as well...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts