Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been looking all over and can't find a replacement part for this. The entire panel would have to be replaced, since it is all one piece. I was transporting heavy speakers and one rolled back and cracked the plastic :( Nice big few inch gash. I contacted my dealer for pricing, the part itself is $105.58 and not in stock... So I haven't been all that lucky even with an online search. Hmmm.....any websites you know of that would have it? Thanks guys, I've included an image to give you an idea. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
if a little crack like that makes you want to replace that whole piece, i can only assume you'll pay to have it installed. so it may cost a whole lot more than $105. if it were me, thats a 2 minute fix costing less than a dollar. just doesn't seem like something the owner of a subaru (or any economyesque car) would do. maybe thats just me, sorry if it seems im coming off like a dick, but why not trade your car in for an audi? they have much nicer interiors.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
if a little crack like that makes you want to replace that whole piece, i can only assume you'll pay to have it installed. so it may cost a whole lot more than $105. if it were me, thats a 2 minute fix costing less than a dollar. just doesn't seem like something the owner of a subaru (or any economyesque car) would do. maybe thats just me, sorry if it seems im coming off like a dick, but why not trade your car in for an audi? they have much nicer interiors.
...He could give it frankenstitches like you did on your lower front bumper...:29: It would certainly give it it's own trademark like yours does.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It’s all relative.<O:p</O:p
Interior panel pieces aren’t rocket science, clips here/there (the trick is knowing where they are) > pull out.<O:p</O:p
Repair alternative… remove panel > heat gun > shape the panel back > 2-part epoxy > maybe some duct/furnace foil tape on the back side = some battle scars.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
It’s all relative.<O:p</O:p
Interior panel pieces aren’t rocket science, clips here/there (the trick is knowing where they are) > pull out.<O:p</O:p
Repair alternative… remove panel > heat gun > shape the panel back > 2-part epoxy > maybe some duct/furnace foil tape on the back side = some battle scars.<O:p</O:p
...then this would help with locating those little suckers...see attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
It will come right off with your hands... Feels like you are going to break something, but pull straight up. Removed the whole back interior and part of headliner with a few sockets, phillips screwdriver and my hands...

·
Registered
565 Posts
There are two ways to look at it, and I sort of empathize with the OP. I took your attitude, bradze, with my previous Subaru, and didn't give a fart about any kind of dent, chip, crack, scuff, etc. Over the years these things built up and the car eventually ended up looking like absolute $hit, even though, under the hood it was in perfect shape. I got lucky when i traded the car in though the GTP, but if I had sold the car privately I would have not been able to get much just based on the way the car looked.

This time around I am trying to nip these little things in the bud so to speak as they happen. I backed into a recycling bin and cracked a tail light. Replaced that myself right away. Had some schmuck hit me in a parking lot and had to have the entire rear bumper repainted, and don't think that taking some pride in a vehicle and wanting to keep it looking somewhat nice means that you either don't deserve to drive a Subaru or purchased the wrong vehicle. You can still use these cars for what they were made for, but it doesn't mean that you have to abuse them or neglect them cosmetically to justify owning one. Some people like nice things and like to keep them looking nice, while others could care less how things look. I've put 10,000 miles on my OB already since purchasing it in March of this year, and have had it loaded down with cargo, taken it on several long road trips and had both the interior and exterior absolutely filthy, but after each trip take the time to clean it up. I've found that taking a little time after each trip, or just a quick weekly wipe-down really does a long way in keeping the car looking nice. Compare this to my 6 year old Forester that got washed probably less than 10 times in the 6 years I owned it! I also try and keep in the back of my mind resale value to some extent, but that does not mean that I baby my car by any means.

But interestingly enough, with guitars I could care less. guitars are meant to be played and not just left to sit there and look pretty. I could care less about chips, wear, scratches, etc. on my guitars because I have no intentions of ever selling them.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
take the part around the window off first, just pull. then the bottom half you will see two plastic screw clips on the top(were under the pieces you just pulled off) then where that recess is for your hand to close the hatch, a piece of plastic needs to be flipped up and then a screw is underneath. not difficult

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
bradze
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing