Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I test drove a 2020 Outback Onyx edition yesterday. We liked all aspects of the car but one. I am 6'2" tall and I cannot stand under the rear hatch when opened. I own a 2018 Ford C-Max and have 2" of clearance under the hatch. Is there any to get the rear hatch to open just a but further? Another 1.5" would be enough so I do not bump my head. Something that Subaru can do or a third party?

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
585 Posts
The hatch raised height can be lowered. An unlikely scenario is that the hatch door you tested could have been tested after someone reduced the open height. Get the digital manual to learn the opening height procedure and go back to the dealership. If there is a headroom clearance issue in the front seats get one without the moonroof which will provide about 2.5" more clearance.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,564 Posts
My wife and I test drove a 2020 Outback Onyx edition yesterday. We liked all aspects of the car but one. I am 6'2" tall and I cannot stand under the rear hatch when opened. I own a 2018 Ford C-Max and have 2" of clearance under the hatch. Is there any to get the rear hatch to open just a but further? Another 1.5" would be enough so I do not bump my head. Something that Subaru can do or a third party?
I am 6'1" and I agree the rear hatch is too low for me even. Unfortunately as far as I know, this is how it is. I have the moon roof and head room up front is not a problem at all.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,593 Posts
I have a carpentry project going in the driveway right now and just for giggles, I put a tape measure the the hatch. It measures 71" from the ground to hatch edge with the hatch in the fully upright position. I'm 5'8" ish and never really noticed it was that low. Did the Onyx you test drove have a moon roof? I'm wondering how you found the headroom in the cabin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a carpentry project going in the driveway right now and just for giggles, I put a tape measure the the hatch. It measures 71" from the ground to hatch edge with the hatch in the fully upright position. I'm 5'8" ish and never really noticed it was that low. Did the Onyx you test drove have a moon roof? I'm wondering how you found the headroom in the cabin.
The Onyx did have the moonroof and the cabin height felt fine. The 71" from the ground to the hatch is the issue, I am 72" tall. Just another 1.5 inches and I would clear it. This will probably not be a deal breaker for me since I am looking to tow a small camper (total weight of about 1,200 - 1,400 pounds) and I do not see much else on the market that compares to the Outback.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hatch raised height can be lowered. An unlikely scenario is that the hatch door you tested could have been tested after someone reduced the open height. Get the digital manual to learn the opening height procedure and go back to the dealership. If there is a headroom clearance issue in the front seats get one without the moonroof which will provide about 2.5" more clearance.
As someone else posted, from ground to hatch is 71" and I am 74" tall

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Onyx did have the moonroof and the cabin height felt fine. The 71" from the ground to the hatch is the issue, I am 72" tall. Just another 1.5 inches and I would clear it. This will probably not be a deal breaker for me since I am looking to tow a small camper (total weight of about 1,200 - 1,400 pounds) and I do not see much else on the market that compares to the Outback.
Correction, I am 6'2" which is 74". Must be all the Outback designers are short

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,166 Posts
Put a 2 inch lift kit on, problem solved ;)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
371 Posts
And don't forget you still have to deal with auto stop/start too.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
371 Posts
Have you looked at a Tahoe? I've rented a few of those out and the rear door was pretty high up for me at 5'10"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you looked at a Tahoe? I've rented a few of those out and the rear door was pretty high up for me at 5'10"
We will be towing a Sylvansport GO camper which only weighs about 800 pounds, no more than 1,600 fully loaded. This and the fact that our kids are grown and gone leads us to the Outback. We simply do not need a large SUV like a Tahoe. The Subaru Ascent also has a hatch that opens up taller but it just more vehicle than we need right now

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Put a 2 inch lift kit on, problem solved ;)
That is a great thought. How exactly does a 2" lift kit affect the Outback in terms of drive-ability, steering, body roll, getting in and out of the car, etc? I am doing this just to get more clearance on the rear hatch, I will not be putting larger tires on

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
25 Posts
In order for the hatch to open more the roof of the entire vehicle would have to be higher. The hatch's lift supports can only reach so far. If we raise the roof (no pun intended), then we no longer have the wagon styling we all love and we would have a mini-Ascent (or Forester XL :LOL: ).

·
Registered
956 Posts
When I traveled to Japan for business I sometimes road the subway during work travel hours. I was clearly head and shoulders above the local crowd
😆 same here....travelled into japan many times on business and at 5’8” and I was a giant amongst many...... their subway system, especially in Tokyo, was amazing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In order for the hatch to open more the roof of the entire vehicle would have to be higher. The hatch's lift supports can only reach so far. If we raise the roof (no pun intended), then we no longer have the wagon styling we all love and we would have a mini-Ascent (or Forester XL :LOL: ).
Would a 2 inch lift kit accomplish this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish the Forester was available with a larger engine, the Turbo would have been great. This gives me the taller hatch and the ability to tow. The current Forester can only tow 1,500 pounds so it will not work.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts