Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 outback. The hatch does not wont to open.I think the latch is frozen or rusted. How can I take the back panel off to see what the problem might be.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,815 Posts
Removing the back panel requires you have the hatch open as the plastic retainers are on the bottom that rest above the floor panel. See Pics.

How many ways have you tried to open it? Have you tried running the car with the heat on full at the highest setting? Hair dryer or heat gun to heat it up from outside? (if you use a heat gun, use low and be careful not to heat the paint up)

Attachments

·
Registered
18,870 Posts
Is the latch working but the door doesn't release, or is latch remaining locked after the keyless entry, or driver master unlock button, is used?

If the rear gate latch remains locked, then it could be a broken wire in the rubber boot between the rear gate and car body. See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/26165-rear-hatch-does-not-lock.html. In this case the rear gate latch would not lock, but the opposite could happen for the same reason -- a broken wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts