Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Limited
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2003 Subaru Outback.
It has LITERALLY just passed the New York State Vehicle inspection, but I have issues now with the indicator lights and/or the rear brake light.
When I indicate right, I would say 60% of the time, nothing happens. The other 40% it will either work, or flash quickly.
I am about to call the dealer to see if will agree to fix it, as I'm amazed it got past the inspection.
Does anyone know if this could just be a quick fix ? A blown bulb ?
The manual says that its difficult to change the rear bulbs in the station wagon (mine's a limited)

The other issue I have is that the CD unit (6 CD Changer type) is not working. The lights are all on, but it doesn't work at all. I may just switch it out, but was wondering if this could be a quick fix as well.
Fuse number 9 is fine.
Are there any other fuses I should check ?
Griff
 

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Joined
·
14,472 Posts
As for the lights: There are two bulbs in the yellow side marker/turn light and if one is blown, it will make the others flash fast. So check the front. Lower yellow is on with the park lights and headlights. Lower and upper flash with signals.

As for the stereo: Replace or just listen to the radio stations. Yeah it blows. I hate all the commercials and talk shows. That's where CD/Memory Stick/Aux ports come in handy. I have 100 hours worth of music on my memory stick. Won't hear the same song twice on shuffle for a week.
 

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
Joined
·
17,708 Posts
when you have the bulbs out, inspect inside the sockets for corrosion.
 

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC H6
Joined
·
431 Posts
I have just bought a 2003 Subaru Outback.
It has LITERALLY just passed the New York State Vehicle inspection, but I have issues now with the indicator lights and/or the rear brake light.
When I indicate right, I would say 60% of the time, nothing happens. The other 40% it will either work, or flash quickly.
I am about to call the dealer to see if will agree to fix it, as I'm amazed it got past the inspection.
Does anyone know if this could just be a quick fix ? A blown bulb ?
The manual says that its difficult to change the rear bulbs in the station wagon (mine's a limited)

The other issue I have is that the CD unit (6 CD Changer type) is not working. The lights are all on, but it doesn't work at all. I may just switch it out, but was wondering if this could be a quick fix as well.
Fuse number 9 is fine.
Are there any other fuses I should check ?
Griff

Auto trans or 5MT? I had my reverse switch go out at 115k. Super easy to replace, costs about $30. I'd run a jumper wire from the battery to it to see if they light up, otherwise it could be a loose wire/ground.

As for the stereo, I went aftermarket. If you want a double DIN radio/cassette/CD from a 2000 Outback I'll ship it to you for $40. Worked fine when pulled at 95k.

Shoot me a PM if interested
 

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Limited
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for the lights: There are two bulbs in the yellow side marker/turn light and if one is blown, it will make the others flash fast. So check the front. Lower yellow is on with the park lights and headlights. Lower and upper flash with signals.

As for the stereo: Replace or just listen to the radio stations. Yeah it blows. I hate all the commercials and talk shows. That's where CD/Memory Stick/Aux ports come in handy. I have 100 hours worth of music on my memory stick. Won't hear the same song twice on shuffle for a week.
Sorry, I should have elaborated. The entire unit is not working. The lights on the front of the unit light up when the ignition is on, but the unit doesn't turn on.
 

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Limited
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, could it be that one or some of the bulbs are blown ? Would this make the indicator light in the dashboard fail to light up ?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top