Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual states that it's ok to use the rear diff. as a center jacking point. I would assume they wouldn't say it unless it's fine. But, I'm a little hesitant. In reality, I'm new to Subaru, and I'm completely ignorant of the strength of the rear diff. Does anyone think there's any problem using the rear diff. as a jacking point?

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon EJ259 - 4EAT
121 Posts
Go for it. If it was even remotely a bad idea -- the service manual wouldn't recommend it. Think of all the things that aren't recommended but are done anyway, with no ill consequence.

Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
It what I use. Makes it easy to rotate the tires with them both off the ground with one stroke of the jack.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Wow, good info. This will make tire rotation much easier now!!!!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
40 Posts
If I jack up the back using a center point, won't both back wheels be off the ground? Since the tire rotation is back to front, how will this make the tire rotation easier? I'd like a jack point that puts the both wheels on one side off the ground at the same time.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Depends on your method/tools.<O:p</O:p
Slip a jackstand under the L or R, then move the jack to Fr lift point.<O:p</O:p
The Contis can also be rotated L/R, they’re symmetrical (although I don’t bother L/R). I have 2 floorjacks, so I just lift L/R.<O:p</O:p
And please use only a floorjack to lift the diff.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would have the front off the ground already to change the oil so I would only need to jack up the back in one spot to get all four done.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I thought it was back to front, then swap left/right on one end (front or rear).

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
I would have the front off the ground already to change the oil so I would only need to jack up the back in one spot to get all four done.
With so much ground clearance, most people can easily change the oil without jacking up the car...

·
Registered
832 Posts
With so much ground clearance, most people can easily change the oil without jacking up the car...

I would agree except I rotate the tires every 5k when I change the oil. Plus it's a little tight for me without jacking it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts