Subaru Outback Forums banner

rear jacking point

13450 11
The service manual states that it's ok to use the rear diff. as a center jacking point. I would assume they wouldn't say it unless it's fine. But, I'm a little hesitant. In reality, I'm new to Subaru, and I'm completely ignorant of the strength of the rear diff. Does anyone think there's any problem using the rear diff. as a jacking point?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon EJ259 - 4EAT
121 Posts
Go for it. If it was even remotely a bad idea -- the service manual wouldn't recommend it. Think of all the things that aren't recommended but are done anyway, with no ill consequence.

Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Wow, good info. This will make tire rotation much easier now!!!!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
40 Posts
If I jack up the back using a center point, won't both back wheels be off the ground? Since the tire rotation is back to front, how will this make the tire rotation easier? I'd like a jack point that puts the both wheels on one side off the ground at the same time.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Depends on your method/tools.<O:p</O:p
Slip a jackstand under the L or R, then move the jack to Fr lift point.<O:p</O:p
The Contis can also be rotated L/R, they’re symmetrical (although I don’t bother L/R). I have 2 floorjacks, so I just lift L/R.<O:p</O:p
And please use only a floorjack to lift the diff.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I thought it was back to front, then swap left/right on one end (front or rear).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.