Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use for the rear license plate so as to not scratch the paint back there. My car just came with a frame from the dealer and the plate would just sit against the paint. I ordered that one for the front from Subaru Online Parts but I have nothing for the rear. Should I just get the generic plastic bracket sold at all the car parts stores? Wonder what else you people are using.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,815 Posts
Use 3M foam door insulation or the self stick weatherstripping. The same you would use on you house door. You just have to put it on the edes and change it out when it catches too much dirt. The weatherstripping will clean with a car wash. A small roll will last you a long time.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use 3M foam door insulation or the self stick weatherstripping. The same you would use on you house door. You just have to put it on the edes and change it out when it catches too much dirt. The weatherstripping will clean with a car wash. A small roll will last you a long time.
ooooh Im liking this weather stripping idea- you just stick it to the back of the plate?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,312 Posts
The screw mounts SHOULD be enough. On mine someone actually tightened the plate and frame too much (or not enough) and it wore through the paint, they had to repair it. When they repaired it they put a rubber edge guard of some kind around the plate (and no plate frame).

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I got longer stainless steel screws and put thick plastic washers (from HomeDeport) between the plate frame and the body of the car. If you have a high quality plastic lic. plate frame, the plastic touches the body - not the lic. plate!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Similar to the nylon washer idea I got four "nyloc" nuts and threaded the mounting screws through the plate then the nuts. That gives about 3/8" space between the plate and paint and they don't fall off when removing the plate as they just spin with the screw. Very solid, clean, no vibration and cost about a quarter.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all you people are so smart - where would my OB be without you all.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't want to revive an old thread, but I just ran into this issue.

I have a college alumni license plate cover for the rear plate that only had two mounting holes at the top and covered the bottom 2. Since we got our outback a few weeks ago, I've noticed that either the plate, the holder or both would rattle when going over a bump. Not only is this annoying, but I presume that eventually this will damage the paint at the point of contact.

So I tried to fix this. I took a trip to the local hardware store and picked up several (6) large rubber washers that were 1/8 inch thick, with a hole diameter just a bit bigger than that of the license plate screw. I also picked up 2 smaller rubber washers. For mounting, I screwed in the license plate in first w/o the cover at the 2 bottom positions, stacking two of the large rubber washers between the plate and the outback for both holes. I then positioned the plate cover, and secured to the license plate via the two top screw holes using the small rubber washers between the holder and the license plate, and the remaining large rubber washers between the license plate and the outback. Both the plate and the holder are snug, but the washers act as spacers so neither are in contact with the outback. I know this sounds a bit complicated, but I think this will prevent the rattles and eventual paint damage. Hope this helps someone else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts