Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Dumb question... My 2018 base came with a black plastic dealer rear licence plate frame which is only attached with top two screws, when I close the lift-gate it makes an annoying metallic slamming sound.

Anyone have any suggestions on a 4 screw frame/kit I can order that won't rust and looks good? Tried it without the frame and looks kinda naked.

Thx!
J

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
I placed two small pieces of foam weatherstripping along the bottom edge of my license tag frame to cushion it and stop the rattling.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
238 Posts
Hi,

Dumb question... My 2018 base came with a black plastic dealer rear licence plate frame which is only attached with top two screws, when I close the lift-gate it makes an annoying metallic slamming sound.

Anyone have any suggestions on a 4 screw frame/kit I can order that won't rust and looks good? Tried it without the frame and looks kinda naked.

Thx!

J

I have these two and love the combo.

C&C Car Worx Front and Rear License Plate Frame Brackets to fit 2015, 2016, 2017 Subaru Outback WAGON at Special Bundled Discount

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W2DKKCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_MEY3mRVHR8hGS

Bell Automotive 22-1-45601-8 Universal License Plate Frame with Clear Cover, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044XHW6O?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,449 Posts
Many times the frames are not installed properly. There are tabs on the bottom of the frame the LP is supposed to be tucked into to reduce/prevent the rattling.
That said, I don't like advertising for any dealer after giving them my money. Seems backwards. So I delete anything from my vehicles with dealer identification anyway.

Most inexpensive novelty frames are of a similar design. If the putting the plate inside the tabs doesn't tame the rattling, the aforementioned foam tape is the easiest solution.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
334 Posts
Hi,

Thx!
J
Go to C&C Car Worx. They have exactly what you need for your 2018. NOTE that the package for the 2015-2017 WILL NOT FIT THE 2018 as the front bumper has a different profile. I have the license plate holder for my front bumper and think it is perfect.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
302 Posts
I have the Subaru thin frame on my rear plate. Looks good with a subtle logo and doesn't obstruct any plate info. It's still only two screws but I've not heard any noise from it when accessing the rear gate. I have some felt stickers on the back of my plate from before I had a frame.

Part is SOA342L153 and runs about $22 online at Subaruonlineparts. SOA342L105 is the same without the logo.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
204 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited Carbide Grey 2.5L w/ES
57 Posts
I have a stainless steel 4 hole from amazon for 2 years now. it gets a lot of road salt on it during the winters. It still looks new.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
18 Posts
I placed two small pieces of foam weatherstripping along the bottom edge of my license tag frame to cushion it and stop the rattling.

+1 for the foam, cheap and simple

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
84 Posts
Go to C&C Car Worx. They have exactly what you need for your 2018. NOTE that the package for the 2015-2017 WILL NOT FIT THE 2018 as the front bumper has a different profile. I have the license plate holder for my front bumper and think it is perfect.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan
Just did the one for the front and totally agree. Looks factory.:29:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts