Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 CVT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

When I close liftgate soft, it would not shut all the way - it loose a little. I close little hard, it loose a little. I push to close, it shut all the way. Do you have that problem? I need to know before I call the service department tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
The striker plate probably needs a minor adjustment. Others have complained about the same problem. Make sure the rear cargo tray or other cargo isn't interfering with the door or latch.

·
Registered
557 Posts
also, check the gap between the rear hatch and the tail lights.

mine get very close and i actually have chipping on the ends where the tailgate contacts the tail lights.

i had to push in the tail lights and then tighten them down!

joel

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Were you trying to close it while parked on uneven ground?

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Outback LTM
48 Posts
I find if I place the palm of my hand below the license plate and just above the bottom of the tailgate it closes without much pressure. The tailgate flexes too much for it to close using light pressure from above the plate or using the hand hold at the bottom of the tailgate. Readjusting might make it easier from other locations but then it probably won't seal as tightly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Were you trying to close it while parked on uneven ground?
Because the world isn't level especially as you get towards the coast or out of inland cities. Parking in downtown Seattle, San Francisco, or while camping would be a lot harder if I couldn't park on a hill.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Yes, its nearly impossible to avoid hills out here on the coast. It isn't so much about parking on a hill as it is about parking with all 4 wheels on the same plane, or as close as possible. You basically just don't want any of your tires on a bump or dip causing the body to want to flex torsionally.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 CVT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got them fix by the dealership, it still under warranty. The problem is I brought it used on Jan 31, 2013, the first owner must have did something wrong.

The button to push open the lift gate is partially stuck. They think first owner or somebody push the button too hard because maybe something stuck. After it fixed, I had no problem since Thursday.

I got it done before my factory warranty expired, whew! Yeah I do have extension warranty but I don't want to pay $100 deductible yet. LOL

Thanks for all of your help. This is great forum!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
Something else to check would be the upper hinge area on top...if snow and ice get in there it can cause problems with closing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts