Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone pulled up next to me over the weekend and alerted me that my tail lights are not working. My brake lights work, as do the blinkers.

I just checked fuse #14 in the inside fuse box and it is still good.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Just to be extra clear, all lights are working except for all the tail lights that should be on when the headlights are on.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is for the '06(I don't have a new one).

I haven't checked the bulbs yet. I thought it would be weird for both left and right bulbs to burn out at the same time. That and the fact that they turn on when pressing on the brakes. Are they not the same lights, the brake and the ones that should be on when the headlights are switched on?

kinda OT question. When removing the tail light assembly(on the wagon), there are two plastic screws with plastic washers that hold the side cover over the combination lamp. Can you purchase replacements for these plastic screws? The last time I changed a bulb I noticed they were falling apart. When I changed my oil recently, I noticed some were missing on my underguard panel.

·
Registered
16,948 Posts
It could well be the bulbs, only no one mentioned the lack of rear lighting at night when only one was out. But now that both are out, the back is totally unlit, and that's more likely to lead someone to stop and let you know.

The brake and tail light filaments are both in one bulb, but connected to separate circuits. So the brake lights can work while the tail lights don't.

If the front clearance lights come on when the headlight switch is turned to the first (parking lights) or second (headlights) position, then the fuse is fine -- same fuse powers both the front clearance and rear tail lights.

The small, plastic screws on the rear light housing covers (and elsewhere) can be replaced -- Subaru part #11 here: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_21/electronic/lamp_rear/illustration_1/

Some are fairly standard and many large fastener outlets carry them or ones that are similar enough to work, at much lower cost. (The last time I bought some of the clips at a dealer they were a couple of dollars each, but similar ones at the fastener store were about 50 cents.)

Let us know what you find . . .

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
a long shot and probably not the cause, but check the switch on the top of the steering column. turn it on and off a time or two.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could well be the bulbs, only no one mentioned the lack of rear lighting at night when only one was out. But now that both are out, the back is totally unlit, and that's more likely to lead someone to stop and let you know.

The brake and tail light filaments are both in one bulb, but connected to separate circuits. So the brake lights can work while the tail lights don't.

If the front clearance lights come on when the headlight switch is turned to the first (parking lights) or second (headlights) position, then the fuse is fine -- same fuse powers both the front clearance and rear tail lights.

The small, plastic screws on the rear light housing covers (and elsewhere) can be replaced -- Subaru part #11 here: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_21/electronic/lamp_rear/illustration_1/

Some are fairly standard and many large fastener outlets carry them or ones that are similar enough to work, at much lower cost. (The last time I bought some of the clips at a dealer they were a couple of dollars each, but similar ones at the fastener store were about 50 cents.)

Let us know what you find . . .
Thanks for this info. :29:

I replaced a tail light back in early September, so I will use the spare I have to see if that solves the problem.

And I will add plastic screws to the list of things to look for next time I'm at the dealership.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a long shot and probably not the cause, but check the switch on the top of the steering column. turn it on and off a time or two.
I don't know what this switch is for, but your solution solved my problem. I must have accidentally hit the switch wiping dust off my steering column. It appeared to be halfway pushed when I reset it.

So what is the purpose of this switch?

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,040 Posts
Parking lights.

NOT running lights, parking lights.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I updated my post because someone pm'd me asking what I did to solve the problem.

Let us know if this parking light switch worked for you blue leggy.

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
I've had both tail lights burn out at once (just before my son used it for a drive test).

Also, don't forget Gen3 rule #1: the tail lights are dark if the headlight switch isn't in the full on position. It catches you off guard because the DRLs are bright enough to drive at night with and the dash lights are on. It's kind of stupid to me.

I started running with headlights on all the time, but then I have to use the button to brighten the dash lights. It also costs me a low beam bulb every 3 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're a genius

It may have been a long shot but it was definitely worth mentioning. I had the same problem as the original poster, but you had the perfect answer for me. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
No tail lights

My tail lights are not working my brake lights and turn signals work but not my running tail lights or licence plate light checked all bulbs there fine no burned out filament and all fuses are ok too. I'm thinking headlight switch or is there something else I'm missing. Please help me out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fixed my problem! Thanks!

The rubber sleeve at the top of the open hatch on my 06 Legacy wagon has deteriorated which had me worried it could be water damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where is this switch located and do you have a picture? I am having the same issue on my 2016 crosstrek but I can’t find any switch like this on the steering column.

I don't know what this switch is for, but your solution solved my problem. I must have accidentally hit the switch wiping dust off my steering column. It appeared to be halfway pushed when I reset it.

So what is the purpose of this switch?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had NO REAR lights at all. Cop pulled me over to tell me.
A fuses were fine.
A couple of flicks of the Parking Light Switch did the trick.
THANKS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts