Subaru Outback Forums banner

Rear lights are not working

Gen 3 
137K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  plain OM 
#1 ·
Someone pulled up next to me over the weekend and alerted me that my tail lights are not working. My brake lights work, as do the blinkers.

I just checked fuse #14 in the inside fuse box and it is still good.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Just to be extra clear, all lights are working except for all the tail lights that should be on when the headlights are on.

#3 ·
This is for the '06(I don't have a new one).

I haven't checked the bulbs yet. I thought it would be weird for both left and right bulbs to burn out at the same time. That and the fact that they turn on when pressing on the brakes. Are they not the same lights, the brake and the ones that should be on when the headlights are switched on?

kinda OT question. When removing the tail light assembly(on the wagon), there are two plastic screws with plastic washers that hold the side cover over the combination lamp. Can you purchase replacements for these plastic screws? The last time I changed a bulb I noticed they were falling apart. When I changed my oil recently, I noticed some were missing on my underguard panel.

#4 ·
It could well be the bulbs, only no one mentioned the lack of rear lighting at night when only one was out. But now that both are out, the back is totally unlit, and that's more likely to lead someone to stop and let you know.

The brake and tail light filaments are both in one bulb, but connected to separate circuits. So the brake lights can work while the tail lights don't.

If the front clearance lights come on when the headlight switch is turned to the first (parking lights) or second (headlights) position, then the fuse is fine -- same fuse powers both the front clearance and rear tail lights.

The small, plastic screws on the rear light housing covers (and elsewhere) can be replaced -- Subaru part #11 here: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_21/electronic/lamp_rear/illustration_1/

Some are fairly standard and many large fastener outlets carry them or ones that are similar enough to work, at much lower cost. (The last time I bought some of the clips at a dealer they were a couple of dollars each, but similar ones at the fastener store were about 50 cents.)

Let us know what you find . . .

#6 ·
It could well be the bulbs, only no one mentioned the lack of rear lighting at night when only one was out. But now that both are out, the back is totally unlit, and that's more likely to lead someone to stop and let you know.

The brake and tail light filaments are both in one bulb, but connected to separate circuits. So the brake lights can work while the tail lights don't.

If the front clearance lights come on when the headlight switch is turned to the first (parking lights) or second (headlights) position, then the fuse is fine -- same fuse powers both the front clearance and rear tail lights.

The small, plastic screws on the rear light housing covers (and elsewhere) can be replaced -- Subaru part #11 here: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_21/electronic/lamp_rear/illustration_1/

Some are fairly standard and many large fastener outlets carry them or ones that are similar enough to work, at much lower cost. (The last time I bought some of the clips at a dealer they were a couple of dollars each, but similar ones at the fastener store were about 50 cents.)

Let us know what you find . . .
Thanks for this info. :29:

I replaced a tail light back in early September, so I will use the spare I have to see if that solves the problem.

And I will add plastic screws to the list of things to look for next time I'm at the dealership.

#10 ·
I've had both tail lights burn out at once (just before my son used it for a drive test).

Also, don't forget Gen3 rule #1: the tail lights are dark if the headlight switch isn't in the full on position. It catches you off guard because the DRLs are bright enough to drive at night with and the dash lights are on. It's kind of stupid to me.

I started running with headlights on all the time, but then I have to use the button to brighten the dash lights. It also costs me a low beam bulb every 3 months.

#13 ·
No tail lights

My tail lights are not working my brake lights and turn signals work but not my running tail lights or licence plate light checked all bulbs there fine no burned out filament and all fuses are ok too. I'm thinking headlight switch or is there something else I'm missing. Please help me out.

#21 ·
So I have a WRX and have not been able to find a thread with this issue described. I was also alerted by someone that my tail lights were out... I have aftermarket subispeed tail lights and decided to connect stock lights to see if the issue might be burned out bulbs. However, they (stock tail lights) also did not work. I replaced fuze and still did not work. Again the issue is the running tail lights are not working, but break lights and backup lights are. Has anyone found a solution??

#32 ·
I have 2008 Subaru Outback, I have the same issue. So far I have replaced the fuse, changed both the tail light bulbs and flipped the parking light switch a few times on top of steering wheel but still the tail lights are not working. What other things I can try before taking it to a mechanic.

#36 ·
When the parking lights switch is turned On, and the right side tail light is on, are the two licence plate lights on?

I believe there is only one tail light on each side at the rear. Have you replaced the tail light bulb on the left side? (The tail light is a dual filament bulb with the second filament used for the brake/stop light. The 2008 Forester Owners Manuals lists a 7443 bulb on page 12-9.

#39 ·
Same issue as described here. No rear running or license plate lights. The indicated master under dash 10a fuse is blown. Also no parking lights work off the steering column switch. Replacing the 10a fuse, it just blows again. 2002 Subaru with full time daylights set on all the time. Otherwise, rear brake and turn signals, and all front lights work.

#40 ·
The indicated master under dash 10a fuse is blown. Also no parking lights work off the steering column switch. Replacing the 10a fuse, it just blows
If fuse #5, 10 Amps, in the cabin fuse panel is blown, the parking lights (incl 4 tail lights, 2 licence plate lights, and 2 front clearance lights) will not work regardless of which light switch is used.

The fuse blowing when replaced indicates there's a short somewhere in the parking light system.

At the back of the car, remove the four #1157 bulbs that are used for the rear tail lights. (There's one in each rear fender light housing, and two in the rear hatch -- see page 11-56 of the 2002 Owners Manual.) Check the bases of the bulbs; it's not uncommon for the contacts to have flattened out and are shorting to ground.

#41 ·
Running lights out in 2002 Subaru Outback Legacy. Fuse inside cabin next to driver's door firewall -- 10 amp -- shorted out, blown. Replacement blows on use. Investigated tail brake, turn signal, license plate illumination and front side fender turn and parking lights powered off the circuit. (the column switch stationary lights work off running lights). It turns out the two hatchback door multifilament running and turn/brake lights with multifilament bulbs were the problem. Over 22 years use in all-time lights on, the base contacts had melted and slowly fused running together, shorting the two circuits. I attribute this to full time running running lights on. Car had 122,000 miles of mostly easy highway elderly use. Bulbs are standard 1197 two filament/contact base points and ground receptacle. It's a simple aging wear out problem. Everyone should know about it. There are three sets of similar lights, 2 sets in rear, one in front. Hope this helps.

#42 ·
Bulbs are standard 1197 two filament/contact base points and ground receptacle.
Another case of the melted contacts as was discussed earlier in this thread, e.g., see post #40 above.

But re you sure that bulb number is correct?

The dual filament tail/brake light in the 2000 - 2004 should be 1157, not 1197.

From page 11-56 of your 2002 Owners Manual

I attribute this to full time running running lights on.
As far as I know the 2002 does not have all the running lights on full time. It has DRLs (front low beam headlights) on whenever the engine is running and the parking brake is not on, but the rest of the exterior lights should be off. (They are on when the headlight switch is set to either of its two "on" positions.) Nevertheless, the analysis is correct; time and heat cause the contacts of the 1157 bulbs to flatten and short.