Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a '96 Outback with a 2.2L and 5-speed for a excellent price, but there is a oil leak in the rear of the engine. From what I've been reading, the 2.2L has a (oil?) seperator plate that can leak, and I'm assuming that the rear main seal will have to be done at the same time.

Are these two repairs possible with the engine in the car? Some repair manuals I've found state that the engine has to come out.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
As far as I know, you might as well pull the engine. I have heard horror stories of trying to do it with the engine still in. My $.02 Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Take the hood off the car, angle it in diagonally, and use it like a big pry bar. Wait, you'll need to unfasten a few things first...

Seriously, I saw that plate on Mericet's 1997, and yes you will need to pull the engine to get to it. Maybe there's some improvised method that could let you simply dismount it and lift/move it forward, but I'm guessing a full removal is in order. Then it becomes a "while you were out" matter, and you can do a lot of other maintenance that is difficult or impossible with the engine in the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I'll go with taking the engine out, didn't look terribly difficult. At least it didn't have two miles of crap before you even get to the engine and had some room to work in the bay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Narcoleptic
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing