Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Harmon Kardon Sound System
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I purchased a used 2016 Subaru outback out of warranty and I cannot disengage the rear passenger child door lock.

I can lock all the doors from the drivers seat and the door will not open from the outside, if the doors are unlocked then the door opens without issue.

Any tips so I don't end up spending hundreds getting this fixed?

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
So here is what the manual says about the child safety locks... when not set to “LOCK” the rear doors open from inside the car when the door is unlocked? Or no?

Text Line art Font Parallel Illustration

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. But the latch is stuck in the lock position.

I need to turn it off, but am still a hit confused regarding howntonfix it. I am able to remove the door panel.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,252 Posts
Which latch are you talking about that is stuck - the one on the inside door panel, or the one on the edge of the door that @walker provided you the documentation?

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Yes. But the latch is stuck in the lock position.

I need to turn it off, but am still a hit confused regarding howntonfix it. I am able to remove the door panel.

With the passenger door unlocked and open, try pulling on the inside door latch handle while you try to move/disengage the child lock button. It’s just a mechanical disconnect for the inside door latch handle, and can get stuck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I purchased a used 2016 Subaru outback out of warranty and I cannot disengage the rear passenger child door lock.

I can lock all the doors from the drivers seat and the door will not open from the outside, if the doors are unlocked then the door opens without issue.

Hi, I have the same problem on my 2014 Outback. The child lock switch is stuck in the lock position no matter what I do. I have not yet tried to fix the problem, so no advice to offer, but I also just discovered a similar problem with my 2009 Impreza. In that case, the child lock switch can still move between lock and free, but you can't open the door from the inside at all. This is a huge safety concern in my opinion, so I've reported this to nhtsa.gov and I encourage anyone who is having the same issue to do so as well. Perhaps a recall is in order?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem on my 2014 Outback. The child lock switch is stuck in the lock position no matter what I do. I have not yet tried to fix the problem, so no advice to offer, but I also just discovered a similar problem with my 2009 Impreza. In that case, the child lock switch can still move between lock and free, but you can't open the door from the inside at all. This is a huge safety concern in my opinion, so I've reported this to nhtsa.gov and I encourage anyone who is having the same issue to do so as well. Perhaps a recall is in order?
Yes. Sitting in dealer now getting advice during normal service visit. Used the passenger side child lock on 2016 outback one time, it never "unlocked" or "disengaged" afterwards. Unable to open door normally from inside. No issues with elec. lock or other functions. The rip and replace option is $300+ from prior estimate. Hoping to avoid.
Would recommend any still in warranty users to test out the child lock and see if it sticks, then if it does you will still be in warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. Sitting in dealer now getting advice during normal service visit. Used the passenger side child lock on 2016 outback one time, it never "unlocked" or "disengaged" afterwards. Unable to open door normally from inside. No issues with elec. lock or other functions. The rip and replace option is $300+ from prior estimate. Hoping to avoid.
Would recommend any still in warranty users to test out the child lock and see if it sticks, then if it does you will still be in warranty.
Ok. Sorry for the delay.
Yes, we fixed it.
Here is what happened.
Took care for routine 54K service.
The dealer was asked to investigate the lock issue, but they failed to take off panel and said it needed to be replaced. To investigate further they would need to charge labor as was not sure that was approved.
I explained to the service associate and a mechanic standing close by my desire to see if we could get it to fail in an unlocked position, with assumption it was a mechanical issue.
They agreed, and I told them I would pay 1 hour labor to investigate and see if a repair was possible.
About 15 mins after taking car back again, the service associate brought out the unit and stated it was "electrical" and could not be fixed. The assembly was a white plastic body with the switch mechanism, and two cables which ran to the inner and outer door handles.

I asked if I could hold it. I took the unit and laid in flat in my hand (horizontal 90 degrees compared to what it was when assembled in the car). With the other hand I pulled on one cable, then pulled on the second cable. Did this couple of times. And, the final step I shook and tapped the unit. Then, I touched the switch for child lock and ......it unlocked.

The servcie associate and mechanic were dumbstruck. The mechanic said he never saw one that failed like this to be fixed. It was always a replacment.

I told the mechanic to reinstall, do not touch the child lock switch, and see if it works. It did work.
For now, the problem solved and unit is now working properly.
Door reassembled and I did not have to pay the hour labor, but insisted on paying $50.00. It was just fun entertainment and result was positive. It was a team effort.

The dealer was excellent. They did listen and fought their instincts to insist on rip and replace.
We solved the problem, saved me some money, learned something, and kept the unit out of the landfill.

My theory is this: The unit itself has some design flaw which allows a sprocket or some mechanism to shift when engaged or if for some reason it shifts otherwise. (so I suggest you not slam these doors....tell your kids...)

The problem is most likely rather low statistically that it happens, but it seem that there is an issue with this design. The changing the orientation of the unit from vertical to horizontal (gravity), pulling the cables several times to work the mechanism most likely allowed whatever was blocking the child lock switch to move enough to allow it to disengage.

So, no promises, but that solved my problem and hopefully others will have same experience.

Thanks for the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You were right i have a 2016 Subaru Legacy limited and the child lock switch got stuck, i remove the door panel then took the door lock assembly off the door, then there is a small cover for the cable of the door lock i opened and move the cable lock back and forth and move the child lock at the same time and started working now it works fine put everything back together and works perfectly thank you SO2019 for your input

·
Registered
3 Posts
You were right i have a 2016 Subaru Legacy limited and the child lock switch got stuck, i remove the door panel then took the door lock assembly off the door, then there is a small cover for the cable of the door lock i opened and move the cable lock back and forth and move the child lock at the same time and started working now it works fine put everything back together and works perfectly thank you SO2019 for your input
You can try it moving the door lock back and forth and move the child lock without disassembling anything and see if it works

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, I came across this post because my wife’s 2016 is having the same problem. What ended up being your solution? We’re you able to fix yourself or did you end up taking to the dealership?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I came across this post because my wife’s 2016 is having the same problem. What ended up being your solution? We’re you able to fix yourself or did you end up taking to the dealership?
Take a look at TEXAN 2001 and SO2019 suggestions in this same thread above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not found a fix but I will try the suggesting by TEXAN 2001 - move the lock back and fourth while moving the child lock and see if I can get it to un-jam!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just signed up to post that wiggling the lock worked. Sort of. I had to put two fingers on the door unlock, then rocked it more towards unlock, while trying to push the child lock back up. It was more about finding the right position between lock and unlock and wiggling the child unlock back up until it disengaged. Which it finally did.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello there and pardon my ESL in advance, just wanted to share my experience.
I have 2015 Legacy 2.5 Limited and exact same problem on both rear doors, unable to disengage the child door lock on both doors. I have been looking for a solution all over the place, took it to a local dealership and they were able to disengage temporarily and told me that I need replacement which would cost me a fortune actually, I didn’t expect it it to be that expensive. When I asked them what they did to disengage, they said it’s a long process and involves taking of the panel and removing the lock itself. Just a week later my passenger door child lock got stuck again and a week later the driver side. That is when I came across this post and decided to try some of the things people suggested in the replies. I removed the door panel but didn’t disconnect anything just yet, instead I have examined the two cables connected to the inside door handle so I could better understand the mechanics behind it and I learned that the top cable with a little ball on the end was pushed forward and not moving at all when you pull the inside handle. I have lightly pushed the cable back and it easily moved back, then I tried to disengage the child lock, and what do you know, I got it to disengage. Re-installed the door panel and so far it still works, even if I place child lock into the lock position it unlocks just fine. Instead of removing the panel on my other door, I pulled the inside handle, and I could see the end of the cable through the crack so what I did, I took a flat, tiny screwdriver and pushed the cable back and it worked just fine, I was able to disengage without removing the door panel. I hope it helps someone save some $$$ in the the meantime. It is obviously a recall and Subaru needs to address it, I fully agree with some other people who replied to this post that this is a safety issue. Ciao.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts