Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From reading the manual I think the problem can be recreated by stopping the automatic opening when the tailgate is automatically opening within 2 inches of being closed and a curp will be heard. This should recreate what happened. Did you hear a curp? If this is what happened it can be fixed without tools by following the initialization process.

From the manual
p 150 When closing the rear gate after opening it, make sure to use the power rear gate. If you close the rear gate manually with extra force, the power rear gate may be damaged.
p 156 If the power rear gate detects some abnormality while operating, an electronic chirp will sound and the power rear gate operation will be automatically stopped in either opening or closing position. In this case, the system needs to be initialized in the following order to restart the function properly. p 157 1. Keep pressing the rear gate opener button until it is unlocked. 2. Lift up the rear gate. 3. Pulldownthereargateuntilitstartsto close automatically. The system will be initialized once the gate is fully closed. 4. Operatethepowerreargateandcheck that the function operates properly.
I don't recall what chirps may have happened, and yes it's quite possible I shut it before it traveled more than 2 inches. I pressed the opener button multiple times (all three of them - fob, dash, and on the door), but I'm not sure what is meant by "unlocked." I hesitate to actually try anything on it right now, but if it ever happens again I'll try it. In this case the automatic open/close was not functioning, and the latch wouldn't latch closed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just had my back glass replaced in my 2020 outback, now I’m getting the three beeps when trying to open or close the rear hatch. I have tried the battery disconnect and that did not work any other suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I had this problem once a week or so ago and did a battery disconnect/reconnect and it too did not fix until I hit the “lock” button on the tail gate. I’m not sure if I just hit lock with the remote if it would have worked. Something is definitely wrong with how the gate operates. This only happened once (once is enough) since I got my car in a Sept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks all! I'm happy to report that it's fixed. Disconnecting the battery did the trick. We left it disconnected for a minute, hooked it back up, and then tried closing the open lift gate. None of the buttons worked, and the earlier beep-beep-beep didn't sound either (which it had while it was malfunctioning). So it was encouraging that something was different. Then we manually closed the lift gate gently...and it latched! Then I turned the car on and tried all the buttons and this time everything worked!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too had a problem with my 2019 Outback Touring. I went on YouTube and one dealership said to do it manually. This did not work. I read this last night and my husband disconnected the battery tis morning. I moved the lift gate up all the way manually, then my husband reconnected the battery and I slowly lowered the liftgate again manually and it still would not latch. I then lifted it up about a third of the way and tried again. SUCCESS!!!! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Update on my hatch issue. Took it to Subaru, they said the Rear tailgate module has going out, I'm going to take it to another Subaru for a second opinion. I can still get the hatch to release with the rear button and then manually open and close it.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Update on my hatch issue. Took it to Subaru, they said the Rear tailgate module has going out, I'm going to take it to another Subaru for a second opinion. I can still get the hatch to release with the rear button and then manually open and close it.
That should be covered under warranty. Contact SOA if a dealership is giving you a hard time.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
490 Posts
I don't quite understand. Sounds more like it has gone out than going out.

How would a second opinion help? If that isn't the problem, they will need to troubleshoot further.

·
Registered
109 Posts
@2WOOFS I mean "Gone out" The reason I want another opinion is because the same module that releases the latch is the same one that commands the hatch to auto open. I can get the hatch to release by holding down the button on the back of the hatch, which means that module IS actually working.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2020 Outback Limited XT. Has anyone encountered this problem? I was putting the new license plate on, with the key fob in my pocket, and the sensor in the Subaru emblem must have noticed me and decided to open the back hatch while I was bent over in front of it. I simply pushed back on it and closed it. But now it won't latch (the car dash shows the rear lift gate is open) and none of the three buttons to operate the door will work (the key fob, the button on the door itself, and the button on the dash). I've tried holding various buttons down with no result. The salesman checked with a service guy who suggested I open it fully, then gently close it, and then press to hold the door closed for a few seconds to see if the latch would engage. It didn't. I also called Subaru for advice and the rep said they don't even have the 2020 manuals in their system yet, and she definitely doesn't know what to suggest - other than towing it to the dealer. The sales guy suggested I tie the hatch shut from the inside and drive it in - and listen the the warning beep for the hour & ten minute drive. And since the car thinks the back hatch is open, the interior lights and the little LED lights in the side mirrors stay on. I was able to switch off all of the interior lights (three different switches...the front, the middle, and the rear) but can't switch off the side mirror lights (and can't find a way to disable them in the control system in the dash). Sales rep suggested disconnecting the battery to prevent it dying, and suggested that might even reset the latch and fix the problem. I haven't tried that yet. Today is Saturday and I don't really want to wait until Monday, and don't really want to drive it to the dealer. Does anyone have any experience with this? I think I also need to learn the rules for properly opening and closing the hatch.
Hi all,
A little help with my battery please. I have the exact same problem as TNgal with my 2020 Subaru Outback. I was leaning against the left side of the rear gate when it beeped. And just like that, it won't latch and the power lift doesn't work. It'll stay up, but when I slowly push it closed, it won't latch and the dashboard indicates that the rear door is open. I tried all TNgal tried, with no luck. Page157 doesn't work either because it's not latched so can't "unlock" So, my next option is to disconnect the battery. I know a little about cars but am scared of electricity. So, after reading way-too-much about disconnecting the negative battery terminal on Google, I went out confidently, 10mm wrench in hand, to disconnect the battery. Only to find THREE wires on the battery. See photo. If the green arrow is the negative, what on earth is the red arrow??? All help much appreciated!!!
Battery.jpg

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,921 Posts
So, after reading way-too-much about disconnecting the negative battery terminal on Google, I went out confidently, 10mm wrench in hand, to disconnect the battery. Only to find THREE wires on the battery. See photo. If the green arrow is the negative, what on earth is the red arrow??? All help much appreciated!!!
The place to disconnect the negative is at the nut on the post, between your red and green arrows. The green arrow is your main negative, goes to ground etc, and the red arrow is for battery sensing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The place to disconnect the negative is at the nut on the post, between your red and green arrows. The green arrow is your main negative, goes to ground etc, and the red arrow is for battery sensing.
Thank you! I didn't want to start messing with anything before identifying all the pieces! I'll let you know what happens! :)

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,055 Posts
To add to perfect directions above, only disconnect the negative (AKA) ground. Disconnecting the positive should not be done for your purpose. Also, the correct nut is the only 10mm nut in the photographed area so your wrench will tell you where to disconnect.

Since you expressed your novice status I will add for future possibilities such as installing a replacement battery: Do NOT disconnect the positive first but always reconnect the positive first. To clarify, do not wrench the positive when the negative post is connected.

If you are uncertain about your ability you should ask for help from someone qualified or experienced with this task.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wait! I just reread what you said. So, the green arrow isnt the bolt I remove, but the bolt between the two? The one that a piece of the red arrow is actually "touching"? I hadnt even noticed that. There's no cable there.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,055 Posts
once loosened you pull up on the assembly and do not allow any contact with the battery lead post.
Note that you loosen the 10mm nut but no need to remove this nut. This nut holds the clamp tight on the battery post so loosen the nut and you loosen the clamp around the battery post.

ADDITION Always remove rings and all jewelry from your hands and wrists when working with these car batteries and connections. The battery current is the main concern.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,921 Posts
Wait! I just reread what you said. So, the green arrow isnt the bolt I remove, but the bolt between the two? The one that a piece of the red arrow is actually "touching"? I hadnt even noticed that. There's no cable there.
Yes, the nut that's in the middle, where the edge of the red arrow just touches, is the one you loosen, then pull up the entire assembly with the green arrow and red arrow connections left intact. You're not removing a cable - you're removing a terminal assembly from the battery terminal.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts