Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, the nut that's in the middle, where the edge of the red arrow just touches, is the one you loosen, then pull up the entire assembly with the green arrow and red arrow connections left intact. You're not removing a cable - you're removing a terminal assembly from the battery terminal.
Glad I included the photo! OK, I think I'm ready to do this! Wish me luck! Will let you know how it went!

·
Registered
9 Posts
once loosened you pull up on the assembly and do not allow any contact with the battery lead post.
Note that you loosen the 10mm nut but no need to remove this nut. This nut holds the clamp tight on the battery post so loosen the nut and you loosen the clamp around the battery post.

ADDITION Always remove rings and all jewelry from your hands and wrists when working with these car batteries and connections. The battery current is the main concern.
Thank you, Ron! I'm feeling good about this now. Jewelry coming off now too! Will let you know how it goes and if it fixes the gate!

·
Registered
9 Posts
VICTORY!! Disconnecting the battery worked!!! Counted to 100 and reconnected it. Rear power door now working correctly. Special thanks to SilverOnyx and Ron Br for walking me through disconnecting the negative terminal! I would have gone about it all wrong if not for you! Hopefully, I won't have any other issues with my 4-month old 2020 Subaru Outback that I'll have to ask about! But, I'll still be back to say hi! Thanks again! You all rock! Stay healthy!

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,387 Posts
VICTORY!! Disconnecting the battery worked!!! Counted to 100 and reconnected it. Rear power door now working correctly. Special thanks to SilverOnyx and Ron Br for walking me through disconnecting the negative terminal! I would have gone about it all wrong if not for you! Hopefully, I won't have any other issues with my 4-month old 2020 Subaru Outback that I'll have to ask about! But, I'll still be back to say hi! Thanks again! You all rock! Stay healthy!
Just so you know, you can reset the rear gate without having to disconnect the battery. From page 157 of the manual:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just so you know, you can reset the rear gate without having to disconnect the battery. From page 157 of the manual:
View attachment 482386
View attachment 482385
This doesn't work in my case, or the original post case. The gate never latches, so it can't "unlock" And, if it's open, and you pull down it never "starts to close automatically" because there's no power in the gate. Disconnecting the battery is the only solution

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,919 Posts
This doesn't work in my case, or the original post case. The gate never latches, so it can't "unlock" And, if it's open, and you pull down it never "starts to close automatically" because there's no power in the gate. Disconnecting the battery is the only solution
The great thing is that you learned a new skill. Hope you don't need to disconnect the battery too often, but when you do, at least you know how to do it (and safely thanks to @Ron Br 's tips).

Before you get too confident though, read this thread about what can go wrong:

·
Registered
9 Posts
The great thing is that you learned a new skill. Hope you don't need to disconnect the battery too often, but when you do, at least you know how to do it (and safely thanks to @Ron Br 's tips).

Before you get too confident though, read this thread about what can go wrong:

Yes! Confident in my new skill! Thanks again. And...Glad you didn't share this before I did it! 😱

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I’m so glad you were able to do it! I’ve been watching your posts and wishing luck. Sorry I couldn’t be more help - it was my husband who did the battery disconnect. I’m glad SilverOnyx and Ron Br were able to walk you through it. Good job! I’ve managed to not repeat the original problem again, thank goodness. Good luck to you, and hope you continue enjoying your Subaru!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m so glad you were able to do it! I’ve been watching your posts and wishing luck. Sorry I couldn’t be more help - it was my husband who did the battery disconnect. I’m glad SilverOnyx and Ron Br were able to walk you through it. Good job! I’ve managed to not repeat the original problem again, thank goodness. Good luck to you, and hope you continue enjoying your Subaru!
Thanks! You helped more than you know just by posting your question. It was my bingo moment! That's exactly what happened to me! And nothing in the manual or anywhere else was helping. So, thanks for having my problem! 🤣 Let's hope neither of us have it again! Stay well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am having the same issue on my 2 week old 2020.

Was talking to someone at a park getting back in my car, standing next to tailgate. Tailgate started to open, I guess I was standing very close. I just closed it shut manually after it started moving. Now the tailgate is unlocked, won't latch and no power operation. So technically I was across town, with my labrador in the trunk and a tailgate that won't close. He rode home in the front, and now reading this as I messed with it in the driveway for an hour. HA! Pretty doofus-y design here, huh?! What's in the manual did not work btw.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts

Was talking to someone at a park getting back in my car, standing next to tailgate. Tailgate started to open, I guess I was standing very close. I just closed it shut manually after it started moving. Now the tailgate is unlocked, won't latch and no power operation. So technically I was across town, with my labrador in the trunk and a tailgate that won't close. He rode home in the front, and now reading this as I messed with it in the driveway for an hour. HA! Pretty doofus-y design here, huh?! What's in the manual did not work btw.
the part where the manual says "keep pressing the rear gate opener button until it is unlocked"... did you press and hold that exterior button for more than 30 seconds? 20-30 seconds should override the closer motor and release the latch in most cases.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
2,082 Posts

Next time that happens, just block the movement and let it close itself as opposed to shutting it manually. I agree with you that shouldn't make a difference, but apparently it does. Please post how you end up fixing it.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,055 Posts
Reinforces the need to carry a 10mm wrench or socket to remove the NEGATIVE battery connection. A 10mm open-end/box-end wrench requires very little space in the glove compartment; buy two wrenches and store one in a ziploc (making it easy to find) in the spare tub. I always think that this could happen while on an out of state trip with the cargo area loaded.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
613 Posts
My uncle and aunt went shopping at Costco earlier today. They called me saying they're having trouble locking the rear gate. I'm not sure what caused it(they said the rear gate wouldn't close after it opened up 🤔). I asked them to manually pull the rear gate down to see if that would work. That didn't work so I asked them if they're seeing any error messages or warning lights. They replied with a no. I decided to drive to Costco to check on them.

Once there I noticed the security indicator light was blinking on the instrument cluster even when the engine was running which was weird. I did multiple troubleshooting steps including turning the car off, locking/relocking the car with the door handle & keyfob then trying the rear gate buttons, and holding vs tapping the rear gate open/close buttons for a few seconds. Nothing worked all I got was beeps. Took a look at the owner's manual and tried the rear gate initialization step by pulling the rear gate manually down. That didn't work, the rear gate felt like it had no power, and didn't power on even as I was pulling it all the way down close to the latch. Also tried activating the power lift gate which I left in the close position from the rear gate button outside, on keyfob, on front driver's door, and got beeps with no movement either. So the rear gate was totally dead it wouldn't open up or close by itself.

I was about to go reset the battery but decided to see if doing the initialization step as if the rear gate wouldn't open would work. The rear gate was currently in a close position but not close against the latch. I went and held down the rear gate opener button right above the license plate for a few seconds. I heard a beep but also heard what sound like an electric motor moving(latch?) after. The rear gate did not power up to open or close so nothing happen yet. I decided to push the rear gate against the latch this time and held the rear gate opener button again for 5 seconds. It finally worked I heard the electric motor sound and it locked. The rear gate was operational again from opening to closing by itself now.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,919 Posts
My uncle and aunt went shopping at Costco earlier today. They called me saying they're having trouble locking the rear gate. I'm not sure what caused it(they said the rear gate wouldn't close after it opened up 🤔). I asked them to manually pull the rear gate down to see if that would work. That didn't work so I asked them if they're seeing any error messages or warning lights. They replied with a no. I decided to drive to Costco to check on them.

View attachment 491361
Once there I noticed the security indicator light was blinking on the instrument cluster even when the engine was running which was weird. I did multiple troubleshooting steps including turning the car off, locking/relocking the car with the door handle & keyfob then trying the rear gate buttons, and holding vs tapping the rear gate open/close buttons for a few seconds. Nothing worked all I got was beeps. Took a look at the owner's manual and tried the rear gate initialization step by pulling the rear gate manually down. That didn't work, the rear gate felt like it had no power, and didn't power on even as I was pulling it all the way down close to the latch. Also tried activating the power lift gate which I left in the close position from the rear gate button outside, on keyfob, on front driver's door, and got beeps with no movement either. So the rear gate was totally dead it wouldn't open up or close by itself.

View attachment 491369
I was about to go reset the battery but decided to see if doing the initialization step as if the rear gate wouldn't open would work. The rear gate was currently in a close position but not close against the latch. I went and held down the rear gate opener button right above the license plate for a few seconds. I heard a beep but also heard what sound like an electric motor moving(latch?) after. The rear gate did not power up to open or close so nothing happen yet. I decided to push the rear gate against the latch this time and held the rear gate opener button again for 5 seconds. It finally worked I heard the electric motor sound and it locked. The rear gate was operational again from opening to closing by itself now.
Great write-up, we should have a troubleshooting tips section where things like this can go. "If the latch is open, press the gate closed and hold it there while pressing the gate button for 5 seconds"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've experienced all the issues (3 chirps = no open, prox. sensor working intermittently, dead battery from leaving it open) reported here with my new 2020 XT (my third outback, 1998, 2005) and have to say I probably would have bought a different car if I knew about these issues with the power liftgate. My main issue, besides the other "features", is that you cannot turn off the power lift gate. If I'm in my garage, the liftgate hits the garage door and automatically closes. If I set the liftgate memory to stop before hitting (which is a PITA to set), it is too low for me (6'1") and I keep hitting my head on the liftgate. If I'm in the garage I know to stoop low and avoid it, but when outside the garage I just forget and constantly whack my forehead. I had a 2009 Chevy Traverse between this Outback and my previous ones and I could just turn off the liftgate when in the garage with a simple button. It's just ridiculous you cannot turn it off and operate manually...the fact that a 11 year chevy off all things had this feature and my new outback does not, blows me away. This is just stupid on Subaru's behalf - it seems like these issues have been reported for years and this is the best they could do on the new model? I've read here that people have converted back to a manual liftgate, but I really just want a switch to turn it off. Anyone figure out a hack to add a switch to release the latch but not actuate the lift?

·
Registered
Subaru, Outback, Limited, 2020
2 Posts
I wanted to thank everyone that posted on the lift gate not responding & not latching issue!
My lift gate stopped working when I forced it closed. It kept opening when I was washing the rear of the car. : )
I disconnected the negative battery, waited 2 minutes & then reconnected. The lift gate now works!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
1,016 Posts
The rear gate has been troublesome for me as well. Open halfway and stop is common, no, its not the height set thing either.

Twice I've gotten it into "beep beep beep" mode. Once reset by dealer, the 2nd time I disconnected the battery. Yes you can open it manually through the cover in the rear hatch, but it doesnt fix it, and frankly, is harder than unhooking the battery.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts