Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a 4 wheel brake pad and rotor change on a 2014 Outback this evening. Everything was going ok up until the last wheel - passenger side rear.

Used the bolts through the rotor method to remove the rotor and noticed it came off harder than the other three had. Seemed to be more difficult to remove on once side than the other but it came off.

But could not get the new rotor on. Checked to see if it was a rotor issue - it slid on fine when I flipped it so the bolt holes weren't a problem. Tried putting the old rotor back on and couldn't get it on.

Looked at the parking brake and it's clearly the issue. The rotor is hanging up on once side of it. It appears that the parking brake shoes aren't really centered / in a symmetrical position on each side. I tried to push the one side and it moved and then the other side popped out of center. Not sure if this makes sense the way I'm describing.

I tried using the adjustment mechanism but it didn't result in the brake becoming centered, or in enough clearance to put the rotor on. Was going to try the emergency parking brake release hoping it would allow me to get the rotor on and get it to a garage, but figured I'd ask her for ideas first.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems like the issue is that the brake shoes just aren't closing enough when the adjuster is turned all the way in. Should the adjuster stop spinning when it's all the way in, or does it just keep spinning? I believe I have it closed all the way but it is still moving. Maybe the adjuster needs replacing?

I'll pull the wheel and rotor back off the opposite side this evening to see if I can see any difference between the two.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
358 Posts
Was going to try the emergency parking brake release hoping it would allow me to get the rotor on and get it to a garage, but figured I'd ask her for ideas first.

I think you should have the parking brake fully released. By any and all means.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,333 Posts
from behind the wheel (I call it the inside) the star wheel's perimieter should move down to loosen the adjustment. - both sides. (it moves UP to tighten.)

I suspect it will bottom out but have never gone that direction very far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FLWhite - what I meant was the manual release....but you actually hit on the problem.

The parking brake was partially stuck on. I oiled it up, cleaned it with brake cleaner then got in the car and pressed the brake pedal and pulled the release and that solved the problem. Stupid for not realizing it earlier. I never applied the parking brake so not sure how it got partially on.

·
Registered
2001 Forester, 1997 Legacy wagon, 2.2
123 Posts
Mine was not a stuck parking brake.

I had installed new parking brake shoes as well as all new pads. Also new springs and everything cleaned and lubed.

The new parking brake shoes were adjusted to loosened position as far as possible. I was able to push the new rotor into place, but it still would not turn freely.

I removed the rotor and triple checked 'how the shoe fits'. Then I took a belt sander to the corners of the new parking brake shoes. It was better after that but still dragging some. So I sanded the rest of the brake shoes surface until the rotor turned freely and remained as cool as the other rotors after driving a few miles. PITA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts