Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a partially installed set of Katzkin leather upholstery in my 2012 2.5 Premium. If I was to do the whole thing in one shot I reckon it'd take full day with breaks, which I don't have. So I plan to finish it piece by piece as time permits.

Before I take apart the rear seat backs I thought I'd ask here fist if anybody knows exactly how to remove them? Or if I even need to remove them in order to reupholster. If I remove the seat bottom and get that out of the way I can see where the seat backs bolt on the sides and the middle. The sides have 3 14mm bolts each and the middle has 2 I believe. I can also see the fold down pull handle mechanism's cable is attached from the side bolsters (where the handle is) to somewhere behind/under the rear seat backs. The linkage looks like the inside of a car door's handle mechanism so I can take that all apart no problem.

Before I just dive into this I thought I'd ask if anybody has the technical docs on how to remove the rear seat? Or if anybody has useful tips? There is a DIY thread here but the guy didn't finish, and he doesn't look like a recently active member.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You.might be able to find directions on subaru.com. i'm sure they sell accessories that req
uire removal of the back seat.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
taking out the seatbacks is such a nightmare! AVOID AT ALL COSTS! to put in my neoprene seat covers, i just had to take out the bottom cushion, maybe its the same?

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
taking out the seatbacks is such a nightmare! AVOID AT ALL COSTS! to put in my neoprene seat covers, i just had to take out the bottom cushion, maybe its the same?
Wow, is it really that bad? Can you elaborate?

Do your neoprene covers have a separate piece for the side pieces (The little part with the fold down release handle), or does it just blanket over all that stuff? I think I can do the installation in place but it would be easier if I could take it out to work on it.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
well, its not so bad to remove, but getting them back in sucks so bad. its pretty complicated, somebody else took em out and had the dealer put em back in, i see why. i ended up crossthreading a bolt or two but at least theyre back in and not going anywhere. and yes my seatcovers had seperate pieces for that side with the fold down handle. are there plastic tabs to hold things down, id take a pic but its a pain to get back in. for mine the tabs slid down along the plastic trim by the door jam.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Maybe this pdf will help

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got the rear seat done last night.

bradze, you're right. It's not so bad. This would have been a nightmare without the technical documents and I can easily see how it could have been much worse. But putting the seats back in is actually quite easy as long as you take note of the orientation of the hinge pin so you can properly align it. If aligned, the seats just drop in place and the bolts go right in without any force needed.

Sneak peak (I'll probably post a thread when it's done). The fronts seats should be relatively easy compared to the back. Now I have to learn how to do the door panels...

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Well, I got the rear seat done last night.

bradze, you're right. It's not so bad. This would have been a nightmare without the technical documents and I can easily see how it could have been much worse. But putting the seats back in is actually quite easy as long as you take note of the orientation of the hinge pin so you can properly align it. If aligned, the seats just drop in place and the bolts go right in without any force needed.

Sneak peak (I'll probably post a thread when it's done). The fronts seats should be relatively easy compared to the back. Now I have to learn how to do the door panels...
WOW! NICE Work! Looks great Rock! Can I bring my car over? You are done with yours right? HA HA

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW! NICE Work! Looks great Rock! Can I bring my car over? You are done with yours right? HA HA
Thanks! ...Obviously you were kidding, but this is very much a labor of love and I would charge waaaay more than a professional shop would. I'm saving $450 by doing it myself and I don't know if I'd do it again if somebody paid me that much. It's really not fun in summer weather. I was totally willing to pay a shop $1200 to do this, but they needed 2 days. That's when I decided to DIY, since I wouldn't want to be without a car for 2 days. I actually drove it to work yesterday without a back seat. It's quite a noisy ride without a back seat in there.

...well maybe if you brought me a crepe from Genki on Clement, some Prawn tikka masala from Tasty Curry, and a California Dreamin pie from Pizza Orgasmica. SF is the best place to eat!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Thanks! ...Obviously you were kidding, but this is very much a labor of love and I would charge waaaay more than a professional shop would. I'm saving $450 by doing it myself and I don't know if I'd do it again if somebody paid me that much. It's really not fun in summer weather. I was totally willing to pay a shop $1200 to do this, but they needed 2 days. That's when I decided to DIY, since I wouldn't want to be without a car for 2 days. I actually drove it to work yesterday without a back seat. It's quite a noisy ride without a back seat in there.

...well maybe if you brought me a crepe from Genki on Clement, some Prawn tikka masala from Tasty Curry, and a California Dreamin pie from Pizza Orgasmica. SF is the best place to eat!
Ha ha- those are all the tourist eats and only about half as good as the locals only places. ;-)

Covering seats takes some patience and no doubt no fun in hot temps.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha ha- those are all the tourist eats and only about half as good as the locals only places. ;-)

Covering seats takes some patience and no doubt no fun in hot temps.
Ha, yeah I suppose. Those are some places I would frequent (I used to go there a lot), along with Ryoko, King of Thai, Burma Superstar. My wife usually picks the more obscure places that I can't remember the names of. She'll always pick some new joint and I usually try to go with the tried and true. But at least I didn't say Cheesecake Factory or Chevy's or something!

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
mmmmm, if only i would've had some help. i posted on here exactly like you did to ask if anyone had done it and got absolutely no help. im glad you got it done though, looks good.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Ha, yeah I suppose. Those are some places I would frequent (I used to go there a lot), along with Ryoko, King of Thai, Burma Superstar. My wife usually picks the more obscure places that I can't remember the names of. She'll always pick some new joint and I usually try to go with the tried and true. But at least I didn't say Cheesecake Factory or Chevy's or something!
Berma Superstar is about 10 min walk from our sf condo Fulton and ParkvPresdio. If you like fish check out Pacific Catch outer Richmond 35th ish. It will blow your mind. Its one of the locals kind of places. TiaMargarita for the one and only lime and tequila fresh made for you margaritas. It will ruin your margarita intrest anywhere else. Kuboto sushi 15th and Geary another locals type place;-)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
The hidden gem Clement st Bar and Grill. Unimpressive from the street but good fresh food for a decent price. Also a big space good for large groups

1 - 15 of 15 Posts