Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago, after removing the rear seat cushion, I was only able to fold down the wider passenger side rear seat back to about 10-15 degrees above true horizontal because there is some kind of bar or something solid that is preventing full horizontality. Now, several months later, I noticed it is totally horizontal. I don’t know how it went totally horizontal, but I don’t want to tinker with it and possibly not be able to get it back to that true horizontal position. But now I need the left seat back to be totally horizontal and it is being prevented just as the right side had been. Does anyone know the procedure to get the seat back to go totally horizontal?

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
Plainairpainter,

I suspect that with the seat bottom missing your seat back has gone past its limit on the lock/rotate mechanism and the lock that secures it when fully up has locked it fully down.

I suspect that you'll have to remove the seat back entirely, or that door side hinge/lock assembly to correct things.

Here's a free service manual for your year. Download it and then search the seat section for the exploded diagrams showing the unlock mechanism, etc.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/2014/

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
603 Posts
Hey gbhrps, do you have a link for the 2016 service manual? I tried substituting 2016 in the link you provided but got a Russian language version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank
Plainairpainter,

I suspect that with the seat bottom missing your seat back has gone past its limit on the lock/rotate mechanism and the lock that secures it when fully up has locked it fully down.

I suspect that you'll have to remove the seat back entirely, or that door side hinge/lock assembly to correct things.

Here's a free service manual for your year. Download it and then search the seat section for the exploded diagrams showing the unlock mechanism, etc.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/2014/

Good Luck!
Thank you

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
Have you checked to see that the rear seat is sitting straight up before you try to fold it down? It may be reclined and the angle of the seat back in recline is preventing it from laying flat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked to see that the rear seat is sitting straight up before you try to fold it down? It may be reclined and the angle of the seat back in recline is preventing it from laying flat.
I’m not sure I understand what you mean? The rear seat is in the normal position when it is locked into where someone is sitting. I am not aware of the ability to recline the rear seats. They are either in the locked in position or they are release and fall into the position I am describing.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
My bad on the description. The rear seats recline, but the handle to recline is the same to tilt it forward. I had a different manufacturer in mind that uses two different handles for recline and tilt.

Is the seat base locked down in to the floor of the car? Has it been pulled up for any reason?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not see, nor is there any description in the owners manual of the rear seats being able to recline as the front seat do. They are either locked into normal position or they can be unlocked and folded forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the Subaru dealer today and they told me the only way for it to go totally flat is to break it, which apparently I had done on the right side. I am just dumbstruck that anyone would design a rear seat to fold down almost flat but not flat, especially given the marketing image of Subaru as the off-road off the grid lifestyle. I was told by the dealer that it had to be designed that way because of the seat cushion. The folks at Peugeot figured out how to do it years ago (my 308 SW) as well as other car companies. Unfortunately, if they don’t remedy this, and having roof racks that can’t be locked, will take me out of the Subaru market for future purchases. Thanks everyone for trying to help me solve this problem. I will just go ahead and break the **** thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts