Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013, Outback, Limited 2.5
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited with leather interior. I noticed after putting down the rear seat and later returning it to the upright position, it had some very dramatic indents/creases from where you click in the seatbelts. There does not appear to be a way to remove seatbelt mechanisms and the owner’s manual doesn’t even mention doing anything with these. I can try to push them towards the folds and/or cover with towels, but I am wondering if I am missing something. I wouldn’t worry about some marks in the seats, but after only two weeks of being down, the biggest indent actually shows wear on the leather and I fear it could eventually rip.
<O:p
Thanks for any suggestions or help!<O:p

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
My 2000 has a cubby like place next to where the seatbelt comes out from below the seat. These little compartments allow the seatbelt connectors (the click in parts) to be tucked-in to avoid your problem. Is there a way to pull the seatbelts through the back of the seats, where they fold, when lowering them. You'd have to push them back up through there when put the seat back to a sitting position, but it might be worth the pain in the butt to avoid damage to your leather.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My old 1997 Subaru Outback had the hard plastic holders that worked well. The problem with the new car is that it no longer has holders and the rear seat belt clip mechanisms are stiff and point straight up into the seat you are folding down. I have tried to force them to other locations that would be safe, but without much success :(

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
My 2003 Outback had the storage cutouts for the seat belt buckles, my 2013 Outback has nothing for the buckles, they just embed them self into the seat. I have fabric seats, and they "come back" relatively well, I am glad I don't have leather seats!

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
My '13 Outback Limited 2.5 has pockets, or cutouts, in the rear seat right next to the seat belts. While I haven't put the rear seat down yet, I am assuming that the intent is to tuck the seat belt buckles and tongues into these pockets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pockets are for the center seatbelt pieces. The ones causing problem is what you clip the two side belts into.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little discouraging the response I got from SOA…<O:p</O:p

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your new Outback, there is no way to push or allow the seat belt pieces to fold down or keep from creasing the seat. They are designed for short term use in folding the seats down and not prolonged use of them being folded down. The cargo area is meant to be large enough for most everyday applications and then the seat folds are meant for those trips when its simply not enough. I would recommend folding the seat back up or relieving the pressure when not in use."<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Bummer. Your idea of using a towel or some other method to disperse the pressure might be your best option. I'm thinking of some of that yellow foam used in seat cushions. You might be able to get some smaller pieces 1' x 1' at an upholsters or an arts and crafts store. You could stash it under the seats or the cargo area floor when not in use. Still not a very elegant solution for such a high end vehicle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found a way to lessen the impact by slowly working the plastic casing around the seatbelt clip to twist so entire seatbelt mechanism will lie flat. I now make sure it is lying flat and cover them and part of back seat with 1” foam square piece. So far that seems to be doing the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts