Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to remove the rear seat in my '03 OB so as to be able to remove the sill cover - need to treat some rust that is starting to show up.

Unfortunately, the manual is totally useless as to how to remove the covers over the brackets that hold the seat in place, and I don't want to just blindly yank on them for fear of breaking them.

So, what is the trick to removing them?

Yea, probably a dumb question, but better safe than sorry! :)

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind - a little prying sideways of one side of the cover released it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - next dumb question:

It looks like there is some sort of latch on the RH side of the seat underneath that holds the back of the seat down (funny that the manual specifically shows it for the sedan, but no mention for the wagon). The sedan seat removal instructions say to lift the front of the seat, push down hard on the back of the cushion, and the the seat can supposedly be moved forward to release it from that latch. However, mine seems to have a mind of it's own, and won't release.

Any suggestions? Other than a block of C4? :) I'd like to vacuum out the crap under there that the previous owner left there, as well as take a look at the fuel pump while I'm at it.

·
Registered
2002 Outback
662 Posts
There is a strap with looped end connected to the latch (hiding under the seat in the right side). You have to reach under there and try to grab it so you can pull it to release the latch. If you unbolted the forward hinges, you may be able to reach under from the forward side and locate the strap (and pull it towards rear of the car).

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - nothing about that in the manual! of course! Will get to try that Friday - going skiing tomorrow instead.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - finally found the strap, but it seems to be located such that it can only come up between the seat bottom and back, which should pull whatever to the rear as you stated, but no release still. I'll keep playing with it as I get the time over the weekend.

So much for the official manual being any use! :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it 2 of us to finally get the mechanism to release - for some reason the latch that the strap rotates did not want to clear the plate that it is supposed to rotate around. It took me pushing like h3ll backwards on the seat with my friend pulling on the strap to finally get it to release, after studying what was going on using my boroscope.

So much for it being a simple operation in this car! Looks like some massaging of the plate is going to be done before the seat goes back in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts