Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
05 OUtback XT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somewhere recently i saw a review on a subwoofer that was surely not a shallow mount and the person said something about it going in the holes under the rear seats "in the factory location". I cant find the page again so are those holes(pictured below) for a factory sub location? or are they for access to the gas tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
05 OUtback XT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
darn, i was hoping that wasnt the case. ill probly get a shalow mount then when ive got the funds.
-thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Depending on year and trim the factory Sub can be under either front seat or in the right rear quarter panel next to the hatch.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i manual. 103,000 miles. My very first!
29 Posts
The factory amp is under my front passenger seat. I run a sealed 12" box in the cargo area.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
dont waste your money on the factory ****. good door speakers are more powerful then that underseat subwoofer. a decent sub and amp can be bought for $250 or less.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i manual. 103,000 miles. My very first!
29 Posts
dont waste your money on the factory ****. good door speakers are more powerful then that underseat subwoofer. a decent sub and amp can be bought for $250 or less.

Bradze is absolutely right! The factory stuff sucks. I paid $250 for a 12" Fosgate sub in a sealed box, a Fosgate amp and a wiring kit. If you wire up your gas tank you'll get a boom allright, I'd go with an after market sub. I'm not sure how you'd wire it up to the factory deck thougt, as most amps need an RCA input.

·
Registered
05 OUtback XT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the advice about the factory stuff. I use my cargo space to the max so i can never sacrifice any of that, so i looked at powered boxes like the factory one but from other companies, are those a good idea? i was in my friends forester and it was pretty good, with a Kenwood KSC-SW10, and there are other models that might sound good too.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I guess it depends on your wants and needs.

For me, the OEM sub does just fine. It provides enough bass to let the factory speakers do their thing. If you look over on nasioc.com you can usually find one for <$50 shipped including the wiring harness. If you want something plug and play simple, it's not a bad bang for you buck.

If you want a truly good system you need to upgrade everything, and unfortunately with an '05 XT, if you have auto climate, your stuck. You can't replace the stereos on those without some serious modifications. I added a sub to my '08 LGT and it did just fine.

I would take some close measurments before you buy the one you linked. It's nearly 4" tall, the OEM is 2" and it just fits under the seat. Not sure if you could fit the linked one under the seat. Of course it would fit fine in the hatch area, and take up minimal space there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts