Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, the seatbelts on my back seat get stuck alot in the guide roller. The seatbelts roll out normally but get stuck in the guide roller when they retract when a person gets out of the car.

Has anyone had a similar issue on his 2nd generation outback? How can it be fixed?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
I have the same issue. I've thought about inquiring about the "lifetime" seatbelt warranty.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,468 Posts
I'm lost on the "stuck in the guide roller". Is it because of a twist in the belt and its stopping on the pivoting guide or are you referring to not retracting into the pillar?

Lifetime seatbelt means that any issue that effects the proper operation of the seat belt or a latch or sensor is covered free of charge. Honda does the same thing. I don't know about a retraction problem though. You could still pull it, lock it and as long as it locks with g-force, its doing its job.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
41 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It's really annoying. I have looked at it several times and can't find anything wrong with it. I tell people to pull it out then across their body's. This seems to help it not get twisted on the way out, but it's still annoying. If you figure it out let me know.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm lost on the "stuck in the guide roller". Is it because of a twist in the belt and its stopping on the pivoting guide or are you referring to not retracting into the pillar?
the belt twists in the pivoting guide and gets stuck there.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah. Twists and gets stuck. It won't retract because it's stuck in the guide. Usually leaving way too much slack in the belt unless you mess with it to get it untwisted and retracting freely again. Would that be covered?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,706 Posts
all

the

time

hate it. usually it happens on release, then the next person can't get it adjusted.

I was wondering about some kinda silicone spray but, can't use anything that will compromise the belt material.

maybe a different shaped slot or ????

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,468 Posts
This has never happened in any of my Subarus. A couple Chevys, yes.

You would have to get with Subaru on warranty coverage. I doubt it, but possible.

Is the plastic protector worn out allowing for the "twist" in retraction to lodge in the guide?

Maybe try a different approach when you release the belt. Don't let it retract fast.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It isn't worn out at all. It appears to have been rarely used.

It isn't just with releasing, it gets twisted up even when someone's trying to pull it out enough to buckle it. It's like the opening in the guide is just a tad too big and allows the belt to start folding over on itself.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I'm having this issue with our 2001 OB wagon. The rear ceiling mounted center seat-belt is giving us fits. My son called in a panic when he had to get three people in the back. It was fully retracted and wouldn't come out but maybe 2 inches and stuck there. He knows he's not suppose move the car till everyone is belted in. It took a lot of fiddle farting with it but he finally got it to work. When I messed with it it seems that the inertia lock is super sensitive and sometimes just won't let go.

I called my local Subaru dealer and they said yes it's covered under the lifetime warranty. Keep in mind this car has 209K on it but it's still covered. If you look in the manual it even says as much. The thing is we'd need two days to get it fixed. They have first look at and diagnose it (pretty obvious issue) then order the part. Then we'd have to leave it when the part comes in. In the end I found the part on e-bay for 25 bucks. I'm just going to replace it myself and hope everything works again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so Subaru Germany told me to see my dealer about it. So I went to the dealer today and he didn't know anything about a lifetime warranty for the safety belts. While testing the seatbelt he said that the fabrique seems to be too soft and that's why it twists... he will ask Subaru-Germany about it and then call me....
I am not hoping for anything here. Subaru is just not big in Germany, they didn't even have a single BRZ there. Only 6 (!) are available for testdrives in a country with a population of 82.000.000 people. The dealerships take turns with the BRZs...

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,706 Posts
^^^interesting, wonder if some kinda starch or - ?sizing? - could be sprayed on the webbing without compromising its function?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan 3.0 VDC; 2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L; 2007 Outback Wagon 2.5 Limited
3 Posts
The ironing seems like a good idea.

Another trick I've seen (oddly enough on a BMW, too) is pulling the seat belt all the way out, and rubbing furniture polish into the belt then allowing it to retract.

·
Registered
2000 (2nd Gen) Outback wagon 2.5 manual Dual Range
79 Posts
happens all the time on my rear passenger seats. Though not the rear center passenger seat.
I think the seatbelt design is simply poor.

·
Registered
2000 Legacy Outback Wagon Limited 2.5 4EAT
14 Posts
+1 on this. Can confirm. I have had BOTH of my rear seat belts with the same problem replaced under that lifetime seat belt warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts