Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OBW 2.5i 5MT (sold)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to installing a set of Rallitek overload springs for the rear of my 2009 outback. It has 62,000 miles. Since I'm going to be pulling apart the struts anyway, would it be worth my while to install new struts while I'm at it? I was planning on installing KYBs when I did change them.

Would you expect poor results if I only replaced the rear struts but left the front stock?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would do the struts while you are there. Go with the 00-04 KYBs. I just did my 05 and it is a world of difference.

As for the fronts, do you notice any problems? 60K is probably right at their life, but if they are still performing OK you may be fine. Go with the 05-09 KYBs for the front.

Where did you get the overload springs? Rallitek stopped again awhile ago. I can't find a pair to save my life..... Hey just forget it all and sell me your rear springs.

Peace,

Greg

·
Registered
2009 OBW 2.5i 5MT (sold)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would do the struts while you are there. Go with the 00-04 KYBs. I just did my 05 and it is a world of difference.

As for the fronts, do you notice any problems? 60K is probably right at their life, but if they are still performing OK you may be fine. Go with the 05-09 KYBs for the front.

Where did you get the overload springs? Rallitek stopped again awhile ago. I can't find a pair to save my life..... Hey just forget it all and sell me your rear springs.

Peace,

Greg
The front seems fine. The rear is a little bouncy for my taste, but then again it's always been that way, so I don't think it's from worn struts.

I bought the overloads springs 2-3 years ago, shortly after Rallitek discontinued them and was purging their inventory. They've been sitting in my garage ever since, while I waited for a reason to install them...

·
Registered
2009 OBW 2.5i 5MT (sold)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, KYB lists Strut Boots (SB103) and a strut mounting kit (SM5214).

With only 60k miles, do you think these components need to be replaced?

·
Registered
09 OBW base => 07 OBXT LTD 5sp
297 Posts
just an opinion

The rear shocks are probably more of a problem than the rear springs. One thought would be to replace your rear shocks (go ahead, try the 04 KYB), and leave the springs stock. Maybe then sell your Ralliteks to reimburse the new shocks (after you're happy....or not). I think 04 KYB's are a bit harsh with 05+ springs, and it seems would be even more-so with Ralliteks. Or swap the springs and use 05 KYB's (theoretically this might work better, though 05+ KYB's are generally dissed). Just don't expect 100K miles from any of these options. Re tophats and strut mounts: in the rear, I don't see why you would need to replace....unless totally trashed

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I agree with impatient.. Struts are going to improve the ride more than a spring change. I wouldn't dream of doing that job without replacing the struts. Up to you which type to put in. I know from experience that the '04 KYB with stock springs is a huge handling improvement over stock when driving empty up through full normal payload. A few folks on this board (myself included) have this setup.

I would expect that the rallitek springs plus the 04 KYBs would be a bit harsh for lighter loads, but probably even better than the above for max payload/trailer towing duty. A few members here have that combo, too.

Take a look at how you are loaded for most of the miles you drive, and go from there.

Changing struts on one end of the car without touching the other is no big deal at all. Doing one *side* without matching the other is flat out dangerous.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,618 Posts
no way I'd go back with the 60K original struts. Our 03 had a leaking rear shock (oil on top of the cylinder) detetced at 60K miles. Dunno how long it had been bad. I replaced all 4 struts. (her car sees almost no highway miles, 95% side streets)

I might swap in new ones at even 40K miles. I dunno, certainly if I had to pay for someone else's labor, without a doubt I'd be having them putting in new struts. (rockauto is a good source, check the internet for 5% off coupon)

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R SAP
203 Posts
*Always* replace all four shocks at the same time. Replacing the rears but not the fronts can result in oversteer - i.e., the car may want to spin in low grip situations or emergency maneuvers.

I'm sure somebody will say "I replaced the rears only and it worked fine" which is true when you are just driving around, but the first time you have to do an emergency lane change in the rain (or the snow) you may end up regretting doing the rears only.

Wise choice is to do all four.

[edit] this is doubly true if you are putting in stiffer rear springs...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts