Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Those (L and R) are what are causing a large amount of the noise I hear in my rear end ( :moon: ) according to my local mechanic. I got home and squeezed under my car and when I grabbed onto them and shook them front to rear, there was a lot of movement and clanking noise. Clearly they were poorly installed.

When I bought the car used in Jan.03, we bought the parts from the dealer with the agreement that the seller of the car would install them, and knock the price of the parts off of the car. Apparently this moron didn't really know what he was doing...cause they died after only a year!
I called the Subaru dealer...and I missed the warranty on the parts by 1 month! ARGH!

I've sent a PM to Peaty about this: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=622, I'm waiting for a reply. I wonder of those Kartboy links would work in my OB.
If any of you think they'd be ok, let me know!
The OEM Subaru links cost $75.86 each. LAME, they are SO SMALL...and RUBBER. The Kartboy ones are $100 a pair, and they are solid.

(PS: No comments about the tire, I KNOW it's bald! Unfortunately I can't justify putting expensive replacements on a car with 141k miles! And the ContiExtremes aren't made for 15s! Yokohama has a few 15s with decent prices/reviews)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
If you get solid rear end links your most likely looking at more thunking sounds from under there. When I put a larger sway bar back there that introduced a lot more noise, and as far as I have heard, going to solid links amplifies the sound. My $.02....Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good info, thanks Brian.

Peaty is looking into it for me, I'll be sure to ask him about the noise issue as well, as I know he has installed the solids on his vehicle.

I get a lot of squeaking/creaking sounds, like rubber on rubber, and a lot more thunking sounds, like rubber on metal, and often clanking sounds, like metal on metal. I assume the clanking is my right rear strut tower bottoming out. The squeaking sound is probably the bad link/bushing assembly. The thunking might be a combination of both.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
You may just need some new and, along with existing ones, WELL LUBRICATED bushings. This will often solve 'creaking'-type noises. Kinda cheap too.
Anyway, be sure to grease the new ones if you replace the SOA ones.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
The true solid ones

"should" not cause noise but you never know, the ones that look like this

will likely cause some noticeable sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Peaty
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing