Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2.5i Cold weather package
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 outback.

I've developed a rattle from the right rear strut and it seemes to be coming from the top of the strut.
I've taken the tire and outer wheel well cover off and can see the top of the strut but cannot work from this access.
Question; how do i access the top of the strut from inside the car?
I would assume the decorative wheel well cover has to come off but i have no idea how to do this.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
On the exterior, there are inner wheel well mud guards that can be removed after the wheels are removed.

On the interior, remove back flooring sections and carefully pry the two side pieces (where the rear seat seatbelts originate) off.

On mine, I only had to remove them partway to gain visible access to the struts' top mounts. Even so, it was still a bit tight in there from what I recall.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I also couldn't figure out how to get the inside wheel well cover off. I started, but decided it was going to be too much work to take it all off, so I just tried to work under it, and I was able to do it. It was tight on one of the 3 top mounts, but doable with a wrench.

I'm sure there is a way, but it seemed like too much trouble if I could get in there without taking the whole thing apart.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,158 Posts
You don't need the inner fender removed. One bolt/nut on the bottom, 2 inside the car and the strut drops out with the mount attached.

Please be sure you have the spring compressor set properly and securely so you don't hurt yourself disassembling and reassembling the assembly.

Have the car realigned when your done just to be sure its correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts