Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Outback 68k 4cylinder n/a engine. I took it to the dealer for the airbag recall and was informed that one rear shock was leaking and the steering rack was also leaking. Their estimate for repair was Cdn $744.86 to replace both struts and $1362.28 to replace the steering rack using OEM parts. I have 2 other estimates and they are both within $150 of each other. I looked at the leaks and think that the steering rack is "weeping" and the shock has some oil around it but nowhere near running or dripping.

There are no oil drips on my garage floor and I check my power steering fluid regularly and it is where it should be. The ride and handling are fine and I have pressed on both rear quarters and there is no bounce.

Should I wait until one of these items causes a problem or should I get them repaired now and if so which one would you consider more important, since I can't afford to do both at the same time?

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,411 Posts
These guys perform their "inspection" and work hard to make the issues they find seem ominous, as if your car is on the verge of breaking down. When I took my car to the dealer to program some keyfobs and cut/program a key, they did the same thing. They were merciless with it too, even going as far as suggesting my weeping valve cover gaskets "could be headgaskets." Such nonsense. The guy even tells me "With 200k miles on the car, it's lived a good life." As if I was going to replace it by buying a new one... it was hard to keep a straight face through it.

If I were you, I would disregard the issues they found. If the suspension isn't clunky and isn't dangerous (which I drove my LGT on blown suspension for a lonnggg time) then just keep driving it. If the steering rack isn't leaking fluid and works as it should, don't worry about the weep. Besides, it's probably just a boot that needs replaced on your steering rack--something you can do yourself and far cheaper and easier than replacing the entire rack.

Of course, I haven't seen your car. If the steering is all over the place and the car is dangerous going down the road, because of the rack or the suspension, by all means, have them fixed but that's a no-brainer. If the car feels fine and you're not worried about driving it, well, they have a pretty effective sales pitch don't they? lol

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,390 Posts
I would also wait until there is an issue. Neither of those are super dangerous if not replaced.

Keep an eye for oil leaks and on the fluid but unless it's eating it I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steering leaks are what makes a Subaru, a Subaru. If it gets bad you can drop the rack and re-seal it. Unfortunately, Subaru just replaces the whole part rather than re-sealing them due to the lack of parts and chances it will return (rebuilds also take more skill than removing a part). The OEM racks are around $600 - 900 USD depending on source.

It's about the mileage where the shocks will be heading south. They slowly degrade over time so it's hard to notice for most people. You can get a set of aftermarket shocks for cheap. I recommend going with KYB (Part No. 341443 for rears).

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The dealership service department sure does the hard sell using fear tactics which obviously works for them.

I will keep on driving keeping an eye on the shocks and power steering fluid.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
956 Posts
You could also do a bounce test. Push down on each corner of the car and release. If the car bounces back up and down more than about 1 time, the shocks are worn. The only bad thing about that is that you'll feel seasick in the rear seats and wear out your tires sooner. Replacing the rear struts in my 08 OBW made a big difference in the ride characteristics. I did the coil and shock swap myself but only when it was convenient to me, it wasn't an urgent life or death thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts