Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently replaced the rear struts on my 98 Outback wagon with some KYB struts (335020). After doing this, the ride is rough, it doesn't feel like the struts are damping out any road vibrations. It surprises me that ride is less smooth than on a 95 Toyota 4 x 4 pickup that I used to own. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? Mechanics that did installation say that KYBs are just stiffer. They recommend going to Monroe's if I want a smoother ride, but that Monroe's don't last as long as the KYBs. I'm also wondering if I should just go with Subaru struts (although they probably cost a small fortune). Any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
352 Posts
Sorry, I don't think that I can be much help. I can't imagine the ride being worse than a 95 toyo pickup. I had a 2000 tacoma that rode like a roller skate, so I'm sure a 95 would ride worse. Something sounds fishy to me. Sorry I can't help but I'm sure someone will come along shortly that can give some advice. Welcome to the board.

Kevin

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,423 Posts
From reverse lookup it appears you have a Legacy OB and those are GR2 struts.

Is it possible you just got accustomed to the old worn out struts? Did you have this car when it was new? The gr2s are usually considered direct replacements for the soob struts (usually the KYB AGX adjustables are considered the 'sport' strut) and KYB supposedly makes the OEM units for Subaru anyway. The new struts MAY have a 'break in' period too.

Perhaps you could have a tech at a different dealership take a quick ride and a peak at the installation. Did you by any chance have new tires put on too? Maybe they were over inflated?

let us know what you discover OK?

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
struts on recently purchased Outback

Carl,

I didn't own this car new. I just purchased it recently. The rear struts were bad as purchased, so I wasn't able to see how this Outback normally rides.

If I understood your msg correctly, the KYBs I put in are the direct replacement and are essentially equivalent to the strut I could buy at a Subaru dealer, right? I checked for overinflated tires first thing, but they're ok. Are there any other components in the suspension that could go bad and result in a stiff ride?

As I mentioned previously I'm just surprised that my Outback rides like a truck (actually worse than my old pickup). Should it ride more like a car or a truck? If other Outback owners have any comments on this I'd really appreciate it. I'm planning to get a second opinion, since I need to take it in for a front brake job pretty soon.

Thanks for the info you already sent.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,423 Posts
The only other thing I can think of would be to strike up a conversation with another owner of similar vehicle and take a ride with him in his and ask him to ride with you, just to compare.

I suppose it's possible some other suspension mods were done to your car by the previous owner, does it have original equipment springs and rear anti-sway bar? If htose have been upgraded it could stiffen the ride some.

maybe someone else has an idea.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well, I do have 137K on my OB, but since I have only had it for about 3 months I do not know if my struts have been replaced. I do not think the ride is bad, but then I do prefer slightly firm suspensions.

·
Registered
'06 LOB, '03 Taco, '97 MX-5
785 Posts
Supposedly - from some other forum - the GR2's have 30% more damping. I can't imagine that'd be uncomfy.

Sadly, AGX's are not yet available for the LOB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts