Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited (Wifes), 2009 3.0R Limited 125k (Mine)
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have changed out rear struts (DIY). How did the rear mounts look? I just changed out my front struts and the mounts had 190k on them and I am glad I replaced them because the bearings were rough. The rest of the mounts were fine. Since the rears do not have movable parts how did they look once disassembled?

·
Registered
75 Posts
For those who have changed out rear struts (DIY). How did the rear mounts look? I just changed out my front struts and the mounts had 190k on them and I am glad I replaced them because the bearings were rough. The rest of the mounts were fine. Since the rears do not have movable parts how did they look once disassembled?
Inside the mounts there is a simple rubber and metal sleeve. The rear mounts has no bearing. Insert screwdriver and move. Should not be torn and cracked rubber part.
Do you understand me?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i did my 2002 H6 OBW rear struts at about 200,000 miles and the top mounts were not in good shape, significant cracking around the rubber, one was notably worse than the others. i wish i would have replaced them but didn't have them on hand so i just put it together as is.

they probably aren't likely to fail but if you plan to drive the car a long time, as i do, then i'd replace them.

I would also replace the springs. Most folks reused there's so I did as well, but my drivers side rear spring failed a few months after installing new springs...wish I would have just done it all at once. I had to go back in and do the job all over again.

If you have failed or weak struts and don't replace them it probably wears the mounts and springs more...making them work a little harder, see more movement, etc. So if they are original at 190,000 like mine, they may be in worse shape. Not sure if it matters but I'm in the rust belt too so that doesn't do rubber, metal any favors for longevity.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The top mounts are not inexpensive. However they may be looks good, but cause a knocking sound. Also they may be looks bad, but will not knock a long time.
You need to check.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
I didn't have to replace rear struts as my 08 obw only has 33k mi, but I was getting a nasty creaking noise which turned out to be the rear strut mount. You can use the OEM (~$53) or like me, use Monroe part which is ~$21 found on Rock Auto.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited (Wifes), 2009 3.0R Limited 125k (Mine)
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up using the old mounts. They were in very good shape, at least visually. I did change the front mounts that had very rough almost seized bearings. The rears were very easy to do, the hardest part was lining up the bottom bolt mounts when re-installing. I used my floor jack to compress the strut until aligned. Took a few minutes per side to line them up and did the entire job in less than 4 hours including shop clean up. Wow, what a difference with new struts all the way around. I forgot how nice the old subie rode…..like a new car. Won’t wait as long with the wife’s 3.0R that has 60k and will do that one at 100k. One tip, do the final torque of the strut bolts and mount bolts once car is on the ground. I ran the bolt incrementally down with my air impact watching the shaft to make sure it did not spin excessively. I then torqued them to 36 ft lbs and the mounts to 22 ft lbs. One thing that made the job very easy were air tools, especially compressing the springs. For the heck of it I called the dealer and a reputable Subaru garage in the area for a quote after I completed the job. I paid 350 for front KYB struts, boots and mounts and 130 for KYB rears. Whole job for under 500. Dealer wanted 900 for the fronts and 700 for rear. This did not include mounts only the struts. The garage quoted me 1600 for just struts front and rear. For a DIY’r comfortable turning wrenches this is a fairly cheap maintenance item to restore a new car ride. Good Luck and be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts