Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Formerly - '02 Outback Limited Sedan
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking our '02 OBS in Tuesday to have the recall work done, and they say they need it all day. I was going to do it sometime this summer, but forgot about it, until the second notice arrived in the mail. The guy at the dealer said they need to prep it in morning and only do the work in the afternoon. Another Suby dealer across town said it would only take about 1-2 hours, but it's more of a pain to drive and wait there, than drop it off in the am and car pool to work.

Has anyone else had this done? What all does it entail?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I have not heard about the recall yet. And I have a MY02 OBS myself. I'll wait and see. Brian

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I found out what the recall was today. Apparently, some '02's had been found to have inadequate paint or rustproofing on the rear subassembly that the rear suspension and other parts attach to, and in "rust belt" areas, like Roch-cha-cha, they had found rust to a point that would be detrimental to the longevity of the vehicle.

They cleaned the underside of the car, then inspected the assembly and added more paint or rustproofing (smells like rustproofing). The write-up guy said mine was in fine shape, just a little rust, nothing major. Running it through the car wash with a chassis wash every couple weeks in the winter definitely helped.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OOOPS!
I just figured OBS stood for OutBack SEDAN. Looking at the bheinz57's gallery and then the Subaru website a few moments ago, I now find out it stands for OutBack SPORT !

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
'cause we servitors of the Truncated Bugeye Terror are sporting individuals, doncha know...!

actually the word "Sport" in jaunty script on the side was one of the few things on it that had to go. much cleaner without. you guys with the big OBs are lucky there, they figure you're mature enough that it wouldn't sway you to buy the car...:D

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Oh, trying to confuse me, a soob noob, eh? :)

I had seen OBW used to abbreviate Outback Wagon before. Anytime someone used OBS I never considered it to mean Outback Sedan, although that makes perfect sense. I figured IOS might be more appropriate for the Impreza Outback Sport-- except nobody will use that, I guess.

Speaking of paint... I noticed one area of what looked to me like oxidization of aluminum. Was only around and on the passenger side back door handle (outside) in the form of little spots. Rubbed away as I cleaned the car first time. Remember though, my OBS went unsold for over a year. Supposing dealerships only wash, and not wax, their cars occasionally.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
'Ya know... Yes OBS is Outback Sport. OBW is Outback Wagon. However, anyone know what Subaru's SUS is? It was an acronym of yesteryear with Subaru. Anyone? I'm sure many of you will know it. Huh?

Brian

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
354 Posts
ooo ooo I know! I remember those ads with Paul Hogan talking about the "Sport Utility Sedan" <-- insert Aussie accent ;). Kind of a clever take-off actually, but it never went anywhere.

Where those pre-2000? I just saw a sedan with the "SUS" badge the other day, but it was a 1st gen. Has it been 5 years since those were made??

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Ed--

just looked at yr car fotos. i'll have you know that the wagon could fit 4 or 5 bodies in the back. :D or if it was The Lizard's car, prolly more like 8-10. :D :D although somehow i don't see Sub hiring Jeffy Daumer to replace Paul Hogan....

nice lookin car, very Bimmer/InfiniLexus-ish, just the thing to mess with people's stereotypes of Subies and OBs....:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ed
I too just looked at your photos and saw the "Stocker" sticker. From the State College area?

While my wife and I were at Penn State, we were too well aquainted with the dealership, each having Chevy's. I had a pickup, she had a Z28. Her car was there at least once every other month for SOMETHING gone wrong. She's convinced she alone financed the renovations to the place shortly after we graduated!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks, cap'n! I agree, I doubt Subaru will add "corpse carrying capacity" to the list of selling points anytime soon! :D

Wayne, I'm a professional nerd too- I work IT at PSU. I had an excellent buying experience at Stockers & my salesman was great. Glad to see you & your wife have moved on to more reliable cars ;)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
learning from your mistakes is a true sign of intelligent life...:29:

the question is what it is abt our collective psyche that causes us to frequently use corpse carrying capacity as a measure of trunk space? :confused: :22: too many gangster movies, or extended untoward contingency planning? :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
cptoversteer said:
the question is what it is abt our collective psyche that causes us to frequently use corpse carrying capacity as a measure of trunk space? :confused:
That's almost spooky, as I was thinking the same thing... kinda like why is it that a cow being skeletonized is always the metric of piranha voracity?? :jester:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
we seem to have come a ways from subframe recalls. glad the people on this list have a sense of humor about "thread evolution"...!

thanks, Waynerd, for posting that in 1st place, and for posting details (guess it's not really something i have to worry abt in the desert)!! :)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
MrEd was right about the SUS Sport Utility Sedan. He is the winner. Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts