Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2001 Outback Wagon, 2005 Outback 3.0 (not running),2015 Forester
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering what looks to be a lot of bushing work this spring, is it any easier to drop the rear sub-frame to get at everything? Is it even possible like other cars?

I haven't been under the rear of the 05 very much since selling the 01.

Thanks,

Peter

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Yeah, you can drop the subframe, sure. It will make getting at the inner upper control arms much easier. Especially if you need to torch or cut bolts. I melted a few of those plastic gaurds with MAP gas on my 2005 trying to get those subborn one off and I had to end up cutting bolts both sides.

Registered
2001 Outback Wagon, 2005 Outback 3.0 (not running),2015 Forester
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anybody do it that way, or just go with the flow and work piece by piece?

Thanks

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Does anybody do it that way, or just go with the flow and work piece by piece?

Thanks
I have done the swaps of like parts side to side, on the car. One set at a time. I have only removed the sub-frame once in my life, to swap the gas tank.

Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
if you have significant rust in your area in your general i'd just start by doing everything you can without dropping it and not touch it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
I have heard the subframe bolts that go into hidden welded nuts on the frame topside don't cooperate.
True story. I broke one of those off (bolt froze in nut, broke welds between nut and body) and had to cut a hole in the floor under the back seat to get to it. I wouldn't attempt to remove these bolts on a rusty car unless you're prepared to grind and weld your way out of trouble.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
True story. I broke one of those off (bolt froze in nut, broke welds between nut and body) and had to cut a hole in the floor under the back seat to get to it. I wouldn't attempt to remove these bolts on a rusty car unless you're prepared to grind and weld your way out of trouble.
I remember that ...

The only RSF I have ever dropped was on this car ....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/462977-fuel-leak-05-obxt.html

car was from CapeCod and NYC (I think) anyway. We didn't break anything. I was a bit nervous about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts