Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the third owner of my Outback. The first owner was an elderly couple that owned it until a few years ago, then sold it to their granddaughter. I just purchased it off the granddaughter. I have EVERY service record since new, including the recall paperwork from when the subframe was "rust-proofed" back in 2003. Since this failed, I am looking to see if Subaru will kick-in for a replacement.

Am I screwed because I'm the third owner?

I plan on sending a packet full of the recall paperwork, and a letter describing this issue with the car. I'm a Subaru lover, and want to keep it on the road for a long time, but this subframe is threatening to kill the car off much sooner than it needs to be. Is SOA generous regarding replacement if all of the paperwork is intact?

I have two of these holes on both sides of the rear subframe, and the rest of it isn't too pretty either:

Can anyone on here share their experiences with SOA regarding the replacement of their rear subframe? A search returned no results on this forum for me. I'd like to know what I'm up against.:29:

Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't know about Subaru, however another company from which I bought a vehicle BRAND NEW stated that I SHOULD NOT EVER put anything for a protective coating under the vehicle, that what came from the factory is protection enough. The vehicle has a ten year RUST PERFORATION warranty.

So, when I would have normally had my other vehicle oil-sprayed on the entire underside every fall, with thick, sticky chainsaw bar and chain oil, I did not do it. Now, the ten years is about expired on that vehicle and I called the manufacturer and told them I followed their manual to a T, but am now looking at a vehicle that has severe rust all over the underside. Very little of the original paint is left under there and that is the vehicle which I had to add all the new grounding and bonding cables to!

In the end, after several months of going around and around with them, they settled by giving me a one-year "coupon" that is worth $1,500 off any of their new vehicles.

That coupon is useless to me, as I cannot afford a new vehicle, AT ALL! I cannot (and I will not) take on a monthly payment of several hundred dollars! I have most things paid off now, as it is, I don't want to start charging up stuff that I don't have a full time job to cover paying for it!

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
try Subaru and see what they do, but i don't expect much.

if it's just that rear subframe, it's actually not as miserable of a situation as it first seems. those rear subframes aren't actually that difficult to remove, there's not terribly much to it and any mechanic could replace it.

car-parts.com and order a used subframe...preferably from out west or the south (where rust is a non-issue) or maybe you can get lucky and find a non-rusty local one. then pay a mechanic to install it.

or even check the classified section here, someone is always parting one out.

$200 for an unrusted version and $300 to install and you're only out $500. i'm just making those numbers up but that should be relatively close and worth another 100,000 miles over a car payment. you likely got a good private party price out of it - so all in all you may still end up with a good purchase, with some annoying logistics and juggling for repair.

you know all this but i'll just spell it out...

if Subaru warrantied it - they would essentially create a niche market for people who flip cars. folks could jump on vehicles with rusty subframes, buy them cheap, then ask Subaru to fix it. i realize your situation is different but they can't micromanage for that.

Subaru can't warranty it for 50 years..where's the line? i'm not sure but after 10 years and 3 owners...and if you live in the rust belt (lots of 10 year old vehicles have rust issues around here), a manufacturer in this sector would shoot themselves to repair this. if you bought it from a dealer, maybe they would replace it (someone else did just that earlier this year, the used car dealer footed the bill though, not Subaru - his wife was also a lawyer, maybe that helped!?!?). his thread is found either on here or the Ultimate Subaru Message Board, i forget which one but you could look it up. he may have some details, costs, etc that could be helpful. same vehicle, issue, and situation.

to some extent, speaking in general terms, blame could be suggested on the part of the seller or buyer. the seller for possibly unscrupulously selling it when they knew there was an issue, Subaru doesn't want any part in that. or the buyer for not properly inspecting the vehicle, in which case Subaru doesn't want to be an insurance company, with the EJ25 headgasket issues they'd be bankrupt for such an approach.

okay, you know all this, just trying to mitigate the situation and help you move forward if Subaru doesn't come through.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely things that I'm sure Subaru have thought through...

I'm making it clear in the letter that this is not a flip, and that my family is looking forward to using this vehicle but we simply don't know if it will even pass inspection. Is this something that can cause it to fail inspection at the current severity level?

But I agree, they certainly don't want to publicize that they are replacing these for free. I suppose having the original documentation (most don't) helps my case a bit too. A great percentage of Outbacks with rusted subframes won't have this documentation, and Subaru probably wouldn't give them a second look unless they were the original owner.

My packet of documents goes out to SOA Tuesday, including images of the rust. We will see what becomes of this, I really hope something positive. I mentioned that I'm on my second Subaru and am an enthusiast, this subframe won't be going to waste!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the end, after several months of going around and around with them, they settled by giving me a one-year "coupon" that is worth $1,500 off any of their new vehicles.

That coupon is useless to me, as I cannot afford a new vehicle, AT ALL! I cannot (and I will not) take on a monthly payment of several hundred dollars! I have most things paid off now, as it is, I don't want to start charging up stuff that I don't have a full time job to cover paying for it!
Funny! In the end, they didn't give you squat, and they knew it. $1500 off a new car still nets them a profit, I'm sure. $5000 off, and you start considering it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but this info may help, as I ended up here after doing a search for my subframe issues (which are now fixed BTW).

This may help to locate a new frame:
REAR SUSPENSION. FRAME.. Fits: Subaru | SubaruPartsAndAccessories.com

I ended up getting a used one from a yard in good shape, came with rearend/axles/rotors (better than mine) other trinkets for 200 bucks.

I ended up paying a local guy almost 1000 to do the job. (he had the lift/tools etc.)
I figured (and hope) it was worth it for me.
02 Bean 165000 miles, good shape for less than book value. After repairs, im just about book value.

My 02 had been "fixed" by Subaru in 03 (according to VIN.) But rusted to crap anyway years later. They claimed they did their "due diligence" by fixing it once back then.
The "FIX", btw, just means sanding down the sucky factory insufficient paint, and re applying some other "paint".
Now, if the guy applying this new "paint" was in a rush to get home on a Friday..and it's getting close to "quittin time"... Well, I'm just saying, maybe this so called "due diligence" wasn't as diligent as Subaru expected it would be.

Theres NO reason that ANY cars frame should be completely rusted out to the point that the rear tire is rubbing on the inner fenderwell, and smoking ..after 13 years, rustbelt or not.
;)

Good luck all.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I took my 2000 sedan to get this recall done 2 weeks ago, so yes, they are still spraying stuff on it...not sure what good it did

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
Theres NO reason that ANY cars frame should be completely rusted out to the point that the rear tire is rubbing on the inner fenderwell, and smoking ..after 13 years, rustbelt or not.
;)

Good luck all.
My 9 year old Chevy had to have every brake line replaced recently, because they all rotted out. All the fuel lines are next, but they haven't broken yet. Chevy's take was "Eh, regular maintenance, buy a new car, lol" and backed up by the NHTSA.

:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
25,185 Posts
My 9 year old Chevy had to have every brake line replaced recently, because they all rotted out. All the fuel lines are next, but they haven't broken yet. Chevy's take was "Eh, regular maintenance, buy a new car, lol" and backed up by the NHTSA.

:wink2:
NHTSA = auto industrial complex

FAA = aviation industrial complex

US military = military industrial complex.

just a few entities that are part of the finest govt. dirty money can buy.

be happy anyone is even talking about how GM kills its customers with a too cheap spring in the ignition lock.
(your beloved rust bucket chevy was hopefully fixed).

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
NHTSA = auto industrial complex

FAA = aviation industrial complex

US military = military industrial complex.

just a few entities that are part of the finest govt. dirty money can buy.

be happy anyone is even talking about how GM kills its customers with a too cheap spring in the ignition lock.
(your beloved rust bucket chevy was hopefully fixed).
Don't forget the Prison Industrial Complex either, friend!

Uhhh, I'll have to do a VIN search on it for that one. The key is currently a screwdriver.

·
Super Moderator
25,185 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
eagleeye
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing