Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm a long time lurker and appreciate the community here.

I just got an estimate from a new mechanic. He said my rear suspension bushing are 100% gone and my tires are quickly deteriorating on the inside. He wants $690 + a $89 alignment to fix it. I did some searching and it seems like this might be a high price? Does it sound fair to you guys and gals?

Thank you in advance for your help.

EDIT: You probably want it know, it's a 2003 Subaru Outback with 200,000 miles.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,359 Posts
That's a laugh walking away price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. That's what I thought. I'm wondering if there is more work and he just labeled it as rear suspension bushings? It's suppose to be a real fair place.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
Thanks for the response. That's what I thought. I'm wondering if there is more work and he just labeled it as rear suspension bushings? It's suppose to be a real fair place.
on a car that old,

he might be talking about replacing whole rear arms, which are not much more expensive vs. wrestling bushings in and out of the metal parts which maybe rusty.

or a whole lot more bushings, around there.

if you want another opinion (based on your ip location):
@traildogck works out of his apartment garage in Thorton, Colorado.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/9-out-west/286490-tdck-s-*******-denver-repair-facility.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on a car that old,

he might be talking about replacing whole rear arms, which are not much more expensive vs. wrestling bushings in and out of the metal parts which maybe rusty.

or a whole lot more bushings, around there.

if you want another opinion (based on your ip location):

@traildogck works out of his apartment garage in Thorton, Colorado.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/9-out-west/286490-tdck-s-*******-denver-repair-facility.html

Thanks eagleeye. I don't have enough posts to PM him, but I'm working on changing that now. I'll reach out to him.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
Thanks eagleeye. I don't have enough posts to PM him, but I'm working on changing that now. I'll reach out to him.
yeah just post a couple one word responses on this thread,

like or saying hello in the new person section, on a couple threads there. (and you only need like 4 more to get 10,...that is a anti-spambot tactic by admins).

_______

but he hands out his email address all the time anyway.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,253 Posts
I realize this old now.

@eagleeye tried as he does...to help us all out...Thx.

@quesihealy

email me... [email protected]

That sounds very high. It depend on whats wrong. There are quite a few bushings back there and Colorado is hard on rubber. But that's high...But it actually fits the shop model. If you are trying to run a profitable business.

I see 300 in parts. Struts were not mentioned. So both rear sets of lateral arms...oem plus mark up...$160 cost-$200 marked up near 30%. Inner and outer upper rear control arm bushings $15 ea-cost (4) =$60-$80 marked up.

Rear sway bar bushings and make up the rest.

Say we are $315 with marked up parts...double that (labor), which = $630. Plus 10% = $693 + alignment....Parts (x2) plus 10%. That's the deal folks It sounds about right. Contractors are the same....lol. Wish health care was...

But come see me. I save you $. I don't mark up parts. You buy them. I just wrench the work. Or you do with...Or just use my sh*t.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts