Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10K miles on my 2012 outback. The rear tires are worn considerably on the outside edge already. Any one else have this problem?

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
If you can, post a picture of the entire tread span so we can see the wear pattern.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Sounds like toe adjustment needs to be looked at. If your driving it around more or less empty all the time just your self in the car - it is possible the factory setting isn't right for your use. More or less your tires are tipped inward at the ground causing the tire to ride on the outside edge more so than center etc. As you add weight to the rear of the car the suspension compresses and the angle of the tire changes.

So running light ie empty all the time could cause this. Ours has 3-5 people in it pretty much every trip it makes along with some stuff which case our rear tires were wearing pretty even.

Front tires if you do not rotate them enough will wear on the out side edge over enough miles given the effect of turning etc.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
By now the "rear tires" should be the ones that used to be on the front, or spent some time on the front then went to the back again. Did you not do the rotations as described in the manual at the appropriate intervals?

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Subiesailor is correct if it's just the Outside edge. If the inside edge is worn as well then it is under inflation.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
To subiesailor's point, I run empty all the time, no visible wear difference from inside to outside edge in 17,000+ miles on any of the 4 tires, but my tires have been rotated 2x and are due again.

Both subiesailor and benamin have good points, if it's one edge it's alignment, both edges would be tire pressure.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
Sounds like toe adjustment needs to be looked at. If your driving it around more or less empty all the time just your self in the car - it is possible the factory setting isn't right for your use. More or less your tires are tipped inward at the ground causing the tire to ride on the outside edge more so than center etc. As you add weight to the rear of the car the suspension compresses and the angle of the tire changes.

So running light ie empty all the time could cause this. Ours has 3-5 people in it pretty much every trip it makes along with some stuff which case our rear tires were wearing pretty even. *Snip
Yes but... As the suspension compresses it produced toe in* on the rear suspension. It sounds like an alignment problem (possible excessive toe in unloaded) from the factory. FWIW If he were to load it up it would be worse.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Yes but... As the suspension compresses it produced toe in* on the rear suspension. It sounds like an alignment problem (possible excessive toe in unloaded) from the factory. FWIW If he were to load it up it would be worse.
Actually, that's the CAMBER, look it up. If the tires are worn on the outside edge, the tire is tipped out at the top. As the suspension compresses the tire will start to lean in more at the top, correcting the issue.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
52 Posts
Actually, that's the CAMBER, look it up. If the tires are worn on the outside edge, the tire is tipped out at the top. As the suspension compresses the tire will start to lean in more at the top, correcting the issue.
I do understand what camber and toe is. Technically the rear camber on these cars is not adjustable. Compressing the rear suspension will add negative camber and also toe-in. So without seeing an alignment print out loading up the rear can either make it better or worse. Agreed?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,797 Posts
The car was designed to haul weight and engineers assume too much when they redesigned the rear suspension. I think they had in mind a majority of customers would be older, travelers or with passengers all the time. They didn't account for the commuters or the ones that use it for hauling equipment on the weekends or a few times a month. They also wanted a "soft" ride. They should have left it the way it was because it worked. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The aftermarket is catching on and working on parts. Patience will tender and soon the '13s will be slammed, lifted or tracking.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
The car was designed to haul weight and engineers assume too much when they redesigned the rear suspension. I think they had in mind a majority of customers would be older, travelers or with passengers all the time. They didn't account for the commuters or the ones that use it for hauling equipment on the weekends or a few times a month. They also wanted a "soft" ride. They should have left it the way it was because it worked. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The aftermarket is catching on and working on parts. Patience will tender and soon the '13s will be slammed, lifted or tracking.
Subaru engineers watched "Biggest Looser" just before the design meeting on the suspension.
One could only imagine the discussion. "OK guys we need to build this new suspension with the idea that the car is packing some serious LARD every time its driven.

LOL- You can't blame em really? After all if its on TV it must be how it is right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts