Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 outback
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 outback base. has no one ever changed the rear upper links? both of mine are shot. there is a bushing on each end, inner/outer. both inners are toast. price on the arm with bushings is not bad, 68 bucks and change, the bushings separate are like 4 and 8, but then i gotta take the arm and have them pressed out/in. way more cost effective for me to just get a new arm and install it. both arms are special order, which means no one stocks, not even the regional warehouse. or does everyone just change the bushings? or does everyone just ignore it? lotsa banging around back there. looks to me like a common wear item. course, i deliver mail on rural routes, and not much paved roads out there, so the suspension gets a workout.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Same problem on mine, completely shot bushings on both sides inner & outer. I ordered new polyurethane bushings from Whiteline: W63396 & W63397 as well as new bolts and nuts from Subaru. I'll be replacing them in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2002 outback
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same problem on mine, completely shot bushings on both sides inner & outer. I ordered new polyurethane bushings from Whiteline: W63396 & W63397 as well as new bolts and nuts from Subaru. I'll be replacing them in about 2 weeks.
i reused the old nuts and bolts. the nuts just regular flange nuts, not nylock or the distorted lock nuts. actually, i only did the right side. when i checked both sides a couple of weeks ago, the left side appeared to be ok. i just ordered the left arm, it is special order, so it will be a week or more. i am keeping the old arms, next time i will just have new bushings installed. i would like input on the whiteline bushings. the car gets beat all to heck on the routes, and i dont care about ride much.

·
Registered
2002 outback
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what were the symptons that led you to look around? I have clunking over bumps from the rear my 2002.
i use my outback to deliver mail. most of the roads are not paved, some have huge craters. i got clunks all over. so i have been slowly eliminating them. i first thought the rear bushing on the control arms were bad, but when i checked the arms, i found the ball joints were fubar. those got changed, then i am waiting on front swaybar links. i had some pretty good clunking in the rear, so i bought upper shock mounts. at the same time, i was going to change the rear rotors and e brake shoes. but the shoes i got were the wrong size, and the rotors are pretty poor quality, so they are going back. anyway, when i had the wheel off, i went all over with a bf prybar. but the inner bushing i could easily see was cracked and deformed. i figger if one bushing is bad, the other must be close behind. since the arm was only 68 bucks, and comes with the bushings, timewise, it is way more sensible for me to just swap out the arm. i was sure i checked the left side, but when i checked it again, that inner bushing was fubar, too. so i now have the left arm coming. they are pretty easy to change, and i am keeping the old ones so i can rebuild them. the mail route really beats the crap outta the poor car. i get flats all the time, and the wheels lose balance a lot. surprisingly, none of the wheels are bent. knock on wood

·
Registered
2000 OBW, 185K
116 Posts
At $10 for the pair, front sway bar bushings are the cheapest part in your suspension and promise to significantly reduce front end clunking in a car that has high miles and sees the hard use that yours does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts