Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my wife a 13 OB Limited No moonroof or Nav. I want to add a rear-view camera and was wondering if the HK headunit is the same as the one that comes with the moonroof...so long story short I want the rear-view camera to show up on the head unit. I am assuming that the head units are the same and I just need to buy a compatible camera and run the wire to the HU. Any and all advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Limited
153 Posts
The screen for the back up camera on my '12 non Nav HK is in the rear view mirror. Pretty sure it's the same for 13s. The stock HK unit doesn't play video.

You'll need the camera and rear view mirror. Or swap out the head unit for an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sat in one

I sat in one today before deciding on the one that we bought. The backup screen was on the display of the HK unit, not the mirror. I was of the same thought as you, which i was i went to the other car to see how it worked in the mirror. Imagine my surprise when it popped up on the HK display. I repeat it was not a nav unit, it was just a limited with the moonroof package. I wanted the camera but did not want the moonroof.

The screen for the back up camera on my '12 non Nav HK is in the rear view mirror. Pretty sure it's the same for 13s. The stock HK unit doesn't play video.

You'll need the camera and rear view mirror. Or swap out the head unit for an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5, Ice Silver Metallic.
92 Posts
My 13 limited has the HK head unit with rear view camera and no navigation but does have the sun roof. The display is on the HK head unit and not in the mirror.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
22 Posts
I have the same vehicle 2013 limited no NAV, no Moonroof. No one has been able to tell me yet where the camera connects to the HU or if any of the harness is pre installed. Maybe if someone with the camera and moonroof pulls their HU we can find out how the camera is wired or if out HU is similar but does not include the camera input

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amen to That

So you and I are wondering the exact same thing...On my days off I will pull the unit to see what is all back there. I am hoping to find an input clearly marked (LMAO)...anyway if/when I find out something I will make sure to come back here and post it. I would think that it shouldn't be too hard to get this done...I mean I doubt there are two different HU's with the only difference being the rear view camera showing in the screen.

I have the same vehicle 2013 limited no NAV, no Moonroof. No one has been able to tell me yet where the camera connects to the HU or if any of the harness is pre installed. Maybe if someone with the camera and moonroof pulls their HU we can find out how the camera is wired or if out HU is similar but does not include the camera input

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the HK PE658U1 so I hopefully its just a matter of figuring out where to connect the the camera harness and finding out the camera signal will turn on the screen or if a reverse signal needs to be wired in too. Would be nice if someone with the camera had their HU out to look at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same Here

That is the same number on my wife's car. So it should work, I just need to find where to buy a compatible camera and wire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will try to pull out my HU to look for a camera wire. I'm not feeling luck enough to think it might be labeled. But i'll look for it anyway. Does anyone know, if it is already in a connector should it be a shielded coaxial type wire?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts