Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 LL Bean OBW H6 rear view mirror never seems to dim at night. I even have the original manuals that came with the car. Really tired of driving at night when the cars behind me seem to have Q beams for headlights. It really sucks. I'd just as soon have the good old flip button on the bottom if this continues. Subaru trying to be too fancy? Any ideas before I yank it off and go low-tech?

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a sensor on the windshield side of the mirror. Turn the mirror off, cover that sensor and turn the mirror on. Keep the sensor covered and the mirror should dim. It should dim automatically from then on. I believe the calibration instructions are in the directions. I have three of these. Two of them I installed myself. I had the same problem with one of them and I did what I just described and it's been working ever since.

Good luck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Even with mine working since the car was new ('05), I am not satisfied with how little it dims. When someone with bright lights is following me for a while, I might as well not even have the "auto-dum" feature.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mirror

There is a sensor on the windshield side of the mirror. Turn the mirror off, cover that sensor and turn the mirror on. Keep the sensor covered and the mirror should dim. It should dim automatically from then on. I believe the calibration instructions are in the directions. I have three of these. Two of them I installed myself. I had the same problem with one of them and I did what I just described and it's been working ever since.

Good luck.
Thanks coz, I'll give it a try. Sounds like you're a dedicated Subie fan, missing only the WRX STI. That one in the works???

·
Registered
244 Posts
My '03 doesn't auto dim either. Thanks for the suggestion coz375 I will try it.

I was thinking there might be a way to install a micro switch to bypass the sensor and make it a manual override? Thoughts?

I know you can install the basic factory mirror to the same mount but I do enjoy the compass feature....

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Hmm, mine works quite well, I don't notice cars behind me with bright lights through that mirror--just through the side views. I've heard that the '01-'02 mirrors had issues that got corrected for '03+. There is an override button on mine, but it leaves it in "bright" mode...to my knowledge there's no way to force it to stay dim.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My daughter just picked up a 2013 WRX.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I too having same problem with the auto dim mirror in that it does not dim at night. I did the "repair" per coz375 last night and mirror finally dimmed!! For me the mirror stayed dimmed all them time now with the black tape over the front sensor so I have to turn it off (green LED off) for daytime driving. Not a big deal it is now a manual dimming mirror just turn it on when need to dim. Is this what people are experiencing with black tape over the front sensor repair?

·
Registered
179 Posts
If it's taped over that means it always thinks it's dark and will always dim, it should work normally if you take the tape off and not dim in the day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agreed however w/o the tape mine does not dim at night. Same headlight brightness between the rear view and side mirrors when car is behind me at night. I have to do this taping thing as days are getting shorter.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Not sure about the older mirrors, but the newer mirrors have 2 sensors. One facing the windshield and one facing the rear window.

The simple explanation: when the rear facing sensor reads brighter than the front facing sensor, the mirror dims.

You can test this by parking in a garage and shining a flashlight into the rear facing sensor, or you can cover the front facing sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
KansasMatthew
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing