Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
i was not sure if i should post this in this forum or the parts forum. So if its in the wrong place, please feel free to move it :)

Ive got an 01 outback Limited. Its got the auto dimming rear view mirror with compass. (the auto dimming has never worked since i got the car 6 years ago).

Now that I have the car out here in California (guessing due to the heat), the mirror is like half dark... Almost looks like when a mirror dims, but it looks like half of it is like that and half of it is normal. It makes it quite hard to see out of it...
So what are my options on replacing it? I would kind of like to stick with a replacement that is also auto dimming and compass vs just sticking a normal universal rear view mirror on there....suggestions?

on car-parts.org i found some used (from junked cars) for $70-$150. Is this good? can mine be repaired, or should i just buy one of these? What is a good price for this used?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Hi guys,
i was not sure if i should post this in this forum or the parts forum. So if its in the wrong place, please feel free to move it :)

Ive got an 01 outback Limited. Its got the auto dimming rear view mirror with compass. (the auto dimming has never worked since i got the car 6 years ago).

Now that I have the car out here in California (guessing due to the heat), the mirror is like half dark... Almost looks like when a mirror dims, but it looks like half of it is like that and half of it is normal. It makes it quite hard to see out of it...
So what are my options on replacing it? I would kind of like to stick with a replacement that is also auto dimming and compass vs just sticking a normal universal rear view mirror on there....suggestions?

on car-parts.org i found some used (from junked cars) for $70-$150. Is this good? can mine be repaired, or should i just buy one of these? What is a good price for this used?

Thanks!
We have an '01 Volvo with the same problem. (we are in TX, so very hot also). Factory replacement mirror was just priced to us at $700 today, so I would say you found a good deal.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Wagon Premium, 2.5i, 6 speed
10 Posts
Got a new auto dimming mirror here subaruonlineparts.com I believe it was around $135?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Wagon Premium, 2.5i, 6 speed
10 Posts
Ive looked there, but don't see it
:)I've been there too. It's very typical of Subaru when looking up parts, I've been told many times by Subaru parts people that even they have a hard time finding things. My advise is to have your Vin number handy and give them a call that's what I had to do when I got the mirror. As a matter of fact I left my number and they called me back twice, of course it's not a cheap item but it's a sale nevertheless. The guys over there have been really helpful to me give them a call!

I just thought of something else, does your vehicle have tinted windows? Ours were done aftermarket and the auto dimming part of the mirror doesn't always work because of it!

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Word around here is that this is what will eventually happen to all of these autodimming mirrors. Might want to just swap to a normal one. I'd expect heat to make it worse. Why Subaru didn't do what some others did and just put a little motorized tilt thing in the mirror housing to replace what you do with a regular one, I don't know.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I did a quick Google and found several for sale from eBay, Amazon, and OEM parts suppliers varying in price from $100 - $250. I bought one here from the classified forum for $50.

The usual failure for these models (originally made by CIPA) is an oval shaped dark spot that spreads out with time. Yours may have some variation of that. The mirrors have an extreme range of operating temperatures and the failure is generally caused by poor electrical conductivity through the electrochromic gel which changes the orientation of crystals that float between two panes of glass, rather than excessive heat or cold. Your crystals may have lost their orientation do to a low voltage failure of the mirror's power source (bad ground?) and "fallen" to the bottom between the two panes of glass.

If you are really adventurous, here is a link to a site about fixing the mirror yourself: How to Repair a Dimming Mirror | eHow.com Although, I'd recommend buying a used one instead. If you do buy one, be sure to get the correct mounting type. My 2000 OBW uses the Twist mount and not the Wedge mount.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!
so i guess the used prices of $70+ are actually decent prices....
ill probably go ahead and order one.

Question though, one of you mentioned just replacing with with a normal non auto dimming mirror... is there a specific mirror you suggest?

also, thanks for describing the oval effect and crystals, that is exactly what has happened

1 - 8 of 8 Posts