Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear window washer randomly quit working over the weekend. I can hear the pump run when I try to activate it, but no fluid comes out the rear nozzle (even after a minute or two). Reservoir is full, front washers are working fine. Is it possible that there could be a clog somewhere in the line? I originally thought it might be ice buildup but even after the temperature being above freezing and the car sitting in the sun, it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
Reservoir is full, front washers are working fine.
is it actually ''full'' or is it that the front is working so you assume it is full?

in the 90 - 99 cars, the washer bottle is designed so the rear runs out before the front. (the intake for the rear is higher in the bottle than the front.) check it or fill it if you haven't yet.

the other cause could be the hose popped loose. look for the puddle.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has not been that long since I filled it, and my rear washer has always worked until the reservoir was empty.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
our 03 will run out in the rear before the front.

check the level.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
you are probably right, it isn't anything simple, so no reason to pop the hood and look inside. way to much work. :gasp:

replacement pumps are generic and pretty cheap at the parts store.

my 00 lego has a bad elbow connection where the hose attaches to the hood. it pops off any time it use the washer. it either needs another elbow or a clamp. i may discard the elbow all together and just put the hose to the fitting on the hood.

do you hear the pump working when you press wash?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I can hear the pump running. I haven't had time today to go double-check the fluid level, but I filled it up from empty a couple weeks ago and haven't used that much. And I've never run into the problem before when being low on fluid, so that is why I am doubting that is the problem. I will double check the level when I leave work.

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
certainly could be a disconnected hose (though you'd likely see fluid somewhere) or a clog.

and you can always temporarily swap hoses to the other pump to troubleshoot but, you said you can hear it so....

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
If the reservoir was empty then you have to pump the fluid back there, if the hose didn't come off, it's going take to take several pumps to get it back there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reviving this as I'm having same problem. I can hear the pump but no water comes out for the rear window washer. The reservoir is full. I tried a pin in the rear outlet. The fuses are fine. (front washer works fine).

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's probably a blocked line, had an issue on my wife's Camry where it had a one way T-fitting and one of the sides had gotten completely blocked. One side worked perfectly and the other didn't, I thought it was the nozzle and didn't figure out it was this one little fitting until I replaced the nozzle and it didn't fix it.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
You cannot just use "pin or needle" - you have to remove the nozzle and clean it out either with compressed air (use compressed air at any gas station) or by blowing the dirt out. To remove nozzle, typically, you turn it 15 degrees and then pull it out.
Then see, if fluid comes out of the plastic tube, after you remove it from the nozzle, when you activate rear washer switch.
Run the rear washer fluid for a while (to get all sediments out) and re-install.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
I recently noticed my rear washer is not spraying.

Is this process for removing the nozzle universal on all Gens? 15 degress in a CCW direction?

·
Registered
17,617 Posts

Is this process for removing the nozzle universal on all Gens? 15 degress in a CCW direction?
plenty of fluid? The rear will go 'dry' before the front due to different height placement of the pumps on the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts

Check the front ones (you can see them, when you lift the hood) and the same design is applied in the back.
As far as I know, it's 15 degrees in either direction - clockwise or counter-clockwise....
Or, just pry them off with a thin screwdriver or plastic spatula - they have plastic retainers/clips that hold them in place.
But the trick is to take them completely off the plastic tubing and let the liquid flow freely. After you blow/clean the nozzle, replace it...I have done it many times on many cars that I have owned.

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
The hose from the rear washer pump to the rear window nozzle has an "anti-drip/backflow" valve in the line. It's basically a ball and spring that allows fluid to flow through it in the direction of the nozzle when the pump is operating, and closes the line at other times. This prevents fluid from dripping out the nozzle or draining back to the reservoir.

There are threads here reporting rear washers that keep on dripping. I seem to recall at least one case where the check valve was stuck open. But I could also imagine the valve sticking closed.

See #6 in http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_23/body_equipment_exterior/rear_washer/

and see http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/06-imp-forester-poor-washer-7320.html?t=7320&highlight=washer. It's Forester-related, but provides info about the valve.

Probably best to first disconnect the hose nearest to the pump and see if the pump is really pushing fluid. If it is, then try to find the valve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts