Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R LTD, TECH-NAV-EyeSight; 2018 Ascent Premier (Canada)
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My car was up for the 60,000km maintenance. We found out that the rear wheel brake were finished (2mm left). While front wheel were A-Ok.

This is my fourth Subaru, and every time the brakes were wearing evenly.
I wonder if the Eye-Sight automatic braking is using more the rear wheels than the front?

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,360 Posts
Normal for the 2010+ models.

Reactions: only1battman

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
+1. don't think of it as a problem so much as technology and systems utilization is improving - just like every other gadget and novelty that attracted you to a new vehicle to begin with. it's not like everything improves while brakes stay in the 1970's.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,671 Posts
I agree this is 'normal' for the 2010+ mainly due to the electronic brake proportioning system.

I have switched from using CERAMIC brakepads to SEMI-METALLIC ones in the rear. This seems to have reduced the rear-wear. (Because SEMI-METALLIC pads wear MUCH better and have better braking power too)

The main 'drawback' to SEMI-METALLIC pads is the black-dust they create on the wheels. (Ceramic pads create white dust which is less noticeable)

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Yup. My theory is that the VDC braking is using the rear brakes more. Maybe slow down on the turns. Nah, what's the use of having a Subaru if you have to slow down? :)

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R LTD, TECH-NAV-EyeSight; 2018 Ascent Premier (Canada)
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your reply! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
Good info above.

2010+ models eat rear brake pads. The VDC stability program increases the wear in general, yet the parts are still sized for a car without such software.

You could look at it as a cost-savings measure- they kept the purchase price down by using an off-the-shelf part, but you also get the consequence of more frequent replacement.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Slate Gray 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
50 Posts
The rear pads are a smidgen thimmer than the fronts. I say smidgen because i cant remember the actual measurement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts