Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 OB XT just bought a couple days ago biggest issue it had was the god awful airplane roar from the right rear wheel bearing. Bought a new hub yesterday and got it swapped over, old bearing definitely was shot but I still have a slight noise coming from the same wheel..??? Definitely not asloud or as bad as it was before but not sure what I could have missed to be making the same noise. I'm deff due for some pads and rotors soon so not sure if that could be the issue or if it's possibly the tires. Any insight would be super helpful!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Sometimes noises are weird. It's possible the rear CV was affected by the bad bearing. Or it's just the tire since the bearing was bad, it would wear funny. Swap the tire and see if the noise moves with the tire.

It's also possible the e-brake bad could be rubbing or something now due to the hub being stabilized.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Jack it up and spin the tire, can you hear the noise then or only when under power? Make certain there isn't something between the rotor and dust cover, or a caliper sticking. If you don't see or hear something immediately, rotate that tire to a different location and see if things change.

After you drive for a while, put your hand on the center of the wheel and see how it compares to the others heat-wise.

Did you get all your springs and e-brake shoes back in place correctly?

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really hear it until I get over 15 - 20 mph. The tire did seem to have a slight inner wear so hopefully maybe that is the culprit, but I will double check everything. I checked the CV axle and it seemed to be okay, and no issues with the e-brake. The caliper looked okay and I had no issues pressing the piston back in and there was nothing between the dust cover and rotor, however I definitely need rotors and pads all the way around which I will be doing soon as well. Everything went pretty smooth though, so hopefully it is just the tires I will try rotating them tonight inspect everything again. If it persist I reckon I will just have to take everything back apart and inspect everything more thorough.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
You DID replace all 4 (assuming you replaced the worn tire), yes? If not, get it done ASAP (or have the new tire "shaved" to match the tread depth of the others).

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not replaced yet, but I am replacing all 4. I do not want to explode my diff haha. I manage a transmission shop so I have seen that happen way too many times lol I did not realizing having a tire "shaved" to match the tread depth was an option though? Where can you have that done?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I know TireRack will offer the service if bought new from them. It's not free and you should consider if you like the current tires and what the current tread depth is.

Sometimes it pays if a set is 3/32 worn from new and a new set is 500+. A shaved new tire may only run $200 or so.

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I did a little research on the shaved tire and that's a negative haha I'd rather spend a little more just a have new tires with an alignment. Got some going on tomorrow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts