Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like my rear wiper sprayer isn't functioning properly. If I don't use it for a few hours it takes about 8 seconds to get any washer fluid out, at this point the wiper has already started and is wiping a dusty windshield which I assuming will lead to scratches. I'm 99% sure that for the first year I had the vehicle there was basically no delay but I'm being told by my dealer that mine is normal and the same as others of this generation. Has anyone else had this issue? Or am I crazy and this is normal? They thought it may be the washer pump which they replaced today and there was no change. Any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
346 Posts
Normal. I believe tbe rear washer nozzle is pulling fluid from main reservoir in the engine compartment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Same in our 17 OB and it is a bit irritating seeing the wiper moving on a dry dusty/dirty windshield. There are other posts regarding this issue. There may be a check valve they deleted from the line to the rear. Our 08 OBS did not have the long delay at all.

Reactions: jmcelroy

·
Registered
16 Impreza 5dr Sport 19 Outback LTD
29 Posts
… did not really time it but initially i thought the reservoir was almost empty causing the delay. filled it up to the brim, same thing. think it was set up that way or its just the washer lines are a bit longer than a standard SUV, the OB has only one tank in the engine compartment. there are other cars that have a separate tank (ex: 89 - 91 VR4), it reacts the same way as the front windshield washers - no delays.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
201 Posts
As above, but also, some of us have had the supply hose partially or totally pinched off, which could also cause problems. Check the hose routing near the left side hood hinge.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited 3.6R
229 Posts
The washer fluid evaporates in the line to the back of the car. In the winter (depending on the temps in your area) you will notice you will not have this issue.

Reactions: boardsailkick

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,002 Posts
Is there a check valve in the line to the rear? Without one, wouldn't the fluid tend to siphon back to the reservoir?

Reactions: manitoback

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. Seems to be not just me. This is something that should be addressed but they don't seem to want to help. I've had a 2014 and a 2017 outback before this and neither had this issue. Weird for it to start having issues like that at the end of a generation.

·
Registered
16 Impreza 5dr Sport 19 Outback LTD
29 Posts
Is there a check valve in the line to the rear? Without one, wouldn't the fluid tend to siphon back to the reservoir?
…. i have no idea, never really checked the line but this will definitely work if we can find a check valve with same id

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
195 Posts
For what it's worth, my '19 OB has the same issue. It takes quite awhile for the fluid to eventually flow. I live in a desert (just had 117 F yesterday) so I just assume that the fluid evaporates. With my older cars, even the front sprayer's would clog up with crystals of the same color of the washer fluid in the summer if I didn't use it. In the winter, there is no issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts