Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I checked this when I bought the car a couple months ago (or shortly thereafter) and it was working, but now my rear washer doesn't spray any fluid. I checked with the engine off and windows open and there's a pump or something making a lot of noise in the engine bay when I twist the stalk to the "spray" position, but after several seconds and a few attempts, nothing. Is there a 2nd reservoir for the rear washer fluid that I'm missing? (guessing not)

The nozzles don't seem visibly blocked.

Oh well, my car is still under warranty, I guess I could make it the dealer's problem, but wondering if anyone has ideas for simple things I could check myself.

Thanks,
-Peter

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I think the one resevoir, and two pumps on it. They operate separately, with different switches. Brian

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
If the main (only) washer resevoir gets below a certain level, it stops sending fluid to the rear and only sends it to the front. This sounds like what is happening to you.

Make sure that it is topped off before you waste your time taking it in for service. If it's full and you are still having a problem, then it might be a bad pump.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The washer fluid reservoir is quite full, so that's not it... I guess I'll be having the dealer look at it, next oil change :cool:

·
Registered
MY2016 Outback Premium
78 Posts
Hey, new to the forum. There's a lot of info here that I have found interesting so I thought I could possibly help here.
The same thing happened to me. I discovered that the hose that connects close to the tank that goes to the back had been attacked by rats and had a few holes in it. I was able to determine this because I saw a little bit of fluid underneath. I repaired the section of hose and it's been working ever since. The rats also chewed through my spark plug wires enough to make the car skip. Fixed that too and all is good now. I found the rats in my garage and destroyed them. Anyways check the hose that goes to the back to make sure it is still intact. HTH.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove my car for the first time in over a week yesterday, thought to try it, and wouldn't you know - the rear washer sprayer suddenly works now.

Unfortunately, the FRONT ones have now stopped working. The motor doesn't even make any noise.

Something is terribly amiss under my hood, but I'm really glad I bought a car with remaining factory warranty, for situations just like this :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts