Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting this under the general discussions because this applies to all models of outback...and I hope to get more reads and someone who knows how to do this. This afternoon I removed all the trim from the rear gate...took less than five minutes...in order to change the wiper motor. I was however, stonewalled by the wiper arm. I could not for the life of me get it off. Yes I removed the nut holding it on but it would not come off. Changing the wiper motor should take a half hour at the most but I could not get past this stuck arm. Any ideas on how to get this off once the nut is removed? Bueller, Beuller?

81976959-2006-4A42-9CF4-CAE480BB86C2.jpeg

Reactions: Flood1913

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Never had that arm off, but was looking at mine to see if there's room to use a small two-arm puller. But have to first take off the cover, and, well . . . how is it removed (without breaking)?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had that arm off, but was looking at mine to see if there's room to use a small two-arm puller. But have to first take off the cover, and, well . . . how is it removed (without breaking)?
The cover cover is just plastic. Spread it apart...there are two little clips at each end.. and it lifts right off easy peasy.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Any ideas on how to get this off once the nut is removed?
After I got the cover off (thanks), backed off the 10 mm nut but left it on the shaft. Pulled up on the arm; it didn't move (as expected). Tapped on the arm (toward the glass) at the hinge to see if it would break the bond but no. (This works with the front wipers most of the time.) So pulled up on the arm at the shaft (the motor seems to be rubber mounted, so the shaft can move out a mm or two), and tapped on the nut with a plastic mallet (black side of a black/amber mallet.) Two firm hits and the arm had moved back against the nut. Removed the nut and arm came off.

(I really expected it to be far more difficult after 14 years . . . )

There are specific wiper arm puller tools in the event simpler approaches don't work. CTC (or Parts Source) might lend them out.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
I've seen those corroded so bad to the motor shaft that the only way to get them off was to cut the wiper arm. That's one spot I would definitely put a little anti-seize before putting it back together. A little heat from a torch can work well to get it off as well but that always makes me nervous using a hot flame that close to the glass.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After I got the cover off (thanks), backed off the 10 mm nut but left it on the shaft. Pulled up on the arm; it didn't move (as expected). Tapped on the arm (toward the glass) at the hinge to see if it would break the bond but no. (This works with the front wipers most of the time.) So pulled up on the arm at the shaft (the motor seems to be rubber mounted, so the shaft can move out a mm or two), and tapped on the nut with a plastic mallet (black side of a black/amber mallet.) Two firm hits and the arm had moved back against the nut. Removed the nut and arm came off.

(I really expected it to be far more difficult after 14 years . . . )

There are specific wiper arm puller tools in the event simpler approaches don't work. CTC (or Parts Source) might lend them out.
Ah...a person who is willing to experiment. Me? I just didn’t want to break the glass so was not going to push it. So you basically just pulled up on the arm while smacking the nut with a rubber mallet...Thanks for this! Tomorrow I will give this a try. That bit of play you had is the arm moving in the rubber grommet that goes through the glass to creat the water proof seal. Crappy tire has all kinds of tools but I don’t know if they loan them out here.

For those of you who are wondering? Crappy tire is our name for the Canadian tire Store Which was referenced by @plain OM as CTC.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
So you basically just pulled up on the arm while smacking the nut with a rubber mallet...
Yes. First photo is how I pulled up, although I think my fingers were further to the right on the wiper arm -- more centered around the shaft, so pulling evenly. The mallet I used is shown in the second photo. Not hard hits, as if driving a nail. More like repetitive solid taps. Because the arm (and shaft) are pulled out from their normal positions, the lighter taps are putting force on the shaft relative to the wiper arm, and not (as much) on the motor mounts etc.
IMG_4709[1].JPG IMG_4710[1].JPG
There's quite a taper on the splined part of the shaft so any tiny movement between the shaft and the arm caused by the taps will release the arm -- it's not like a splined shaft that's the same diameter all the way and any corrosion has to be overcome the whole length. The arm engages the shaft only at the tapered spline, not the main part of the shaft itself.
IMG_4714[1].JPG

That bit of play you had is the arm moving in the rubber grommet that goes through the glass to creat the water proof seal.
The rubber grommet is around the motor shaft. The shaft can move out (the grommet "stretching" with it), perpendicular to the glass, several millimeters. I doubt the shaft itself can move independent of the motor, so the whole motor assembly is probably moving as well. Is the motor assembly not mounted in rubber supports?

Crappy tire has all kinds of tools but I don’t know if they loan them out here.
Perhaps not. But if there's other parts stores (I believe there are), they too often lend tools. Alternatively, if not busy, maybe they might come out with the tool and pull the arm for you. (After all, they sell wiper arms, and customers have to remove the old one first.)

Most should have either a wiper arm puller or a battery cable puller (two arm type). Even Walmarts with auto sections could.

Look forward to the results.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've seen those corroded so bad to the motor shaft that the only way to get them off was to cut the wiper arm. That's one spot I would definitely put a little anti-seize before putting it back together. A little heat from a torch can work well to get it off as well but that always makes me nervous using a hot flame that close to the glass.
Can’t use heat because the wiper motor shaft goes through a big rubber grommet that keeps the water out of the rear gate. Heat would melt that grommet....that was one of my thoughts until I saw that.

The holes on the motor for the three 10 mills that hold the motor in place have rubber sourrounds to dampen vibration.

thanks for the pics @plain OM. You are right about the taper on the shaft. I noticed that on the new motor.

Edit.
The results are in...it’s not coming off easy. I have tried everything but to no avail. I’m wondering that when I had the rear window replaced the glass place put it on very tight. Tailgate lift struts 2011 Outack

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Can’t use heat because the wiper motor shaft goes through a big rubber grommet that keeps the water out of the rear gate. Heat would melt that grommet....that was one of my thoughts until I saw that.
Not sure about your 2011, but on my 07, the original factory-installed wiper arm isn't metal; it's all plastic including the short piece that fits onto the motor shaft. (No metal-to-metal corrosion and seizing.) See post #15 below.

Also, for my 07, the torque spec for the nut is only 5.9 ft-lb (70 in-lbs).

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
I have tried everything but to no avail.
Must have been put on too tight. Can you tell if it's also plastic? Perhaps try heat, but not a flame or heat gun. Use a hair dryer, and direct the flow onto the wiper arm piece, but parallel to the glass so the glass and the motor shaft aren't being warmed. The warm air might be enough to change the plastic dimension, or grip. (I.e., if your's is plastic as well.)

If not, and again, if it's plastic, then a puller should work.

pullers.jpg

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yep...tried the hair drier trick...did not work. I’ll check crappy tire and if they don’t have one of these I am going to drop by the glass place on Monday and ask how they got it off..then ask them to take it off for me. I’ll look after the rest. I sure appreciate all the help with this. If I can, I like to do things myself. I just got stonewalled by this one

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
405 Posts
How much is a replacement arm?
Might just cut it off with a dremel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Not sure about your 2011, but on my 07, the original factory-installed wiper arm isn't metal; it's all plastic including the short piece that fits onto the motor shaft. (No metal-to-metal corrosion and seizing.)

Also, for my 07, the torque spec for the nut is only 5.9 ft-lb (70 in-lbs).
Interesting. I don't think I have ever seen a plastic wiper arm. The big problem with these is the galvanic corrosion between the steel motor shaft and the aluminum (or whatever metal is used) wiper arm.
Plastic would eliminate that, but I wonder if it is still a splined shaft if the plastic would strip out easily with wiper blade frozen to the glass. It might be that they use a metal insert in the plastic that is splined to match the motor shaft, which would still have the corrosion issue though.

I think I will put on my "to-do" list to pop the wiper arm off of my Outback and put some anti-seize on the shaft and reinstall it.

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
520 Posts
I managed using a 3 legged small gear puller. The wiper arm is mostly plastic but there is a metal insert which gets stuck on the motor shaft splines. I took the nut off, managed to gets the hooks on the puller legs behind the wiper base, centre of the puller on the wiper motor shaft end, tightened and off she popped.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I just looked at mine and sure enough it does appear that the wiper arm is plastic. Learn something new every day.

From what @Greenmamba mentions about an insert I'm guessing the part with the coarse square splines is the insert and that in turn would have the regular fine splines on the inside that fit to the motor shaft. Those coarse square splines would eliminate the concern I mentioned previously about the plastic stripping out.

And yes, that is snow...

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
The wiper arm is mostly plastic but there is a metal insert . .
I stand corrected. Pulled the arm off again and had a closer look. (My 07.) Under the right light, I could discern a transition between the black plastic and area inside. Whatever it is, it's not magnetic.
(This is close up of the top, same as in Danver's photo. Reddish hue is lighting, not rust.))
IMG_4718.JPG

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
I'm guessing the part with the coarse square splines is the insert and that in turn would have the regular fine splines on the inside that fit to the motor shaft. Those coarse square splines would eliminate the concern I mentioned previously about the plastic stripping out.
Looks that way. My 07 doesn't have those square splines, at least not showing that way. (See first photo in post #7 above.) Hard to tell if the tapered area inside is metal, but at this point I'd say it's likely.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
So, I have a ton of things that I need to get done this weekend, most of them nice indoor things. It is cold, snowy, damp, and just downright miserable outside.
I have no pressing need to remove my rear wiper arm and likely won't need to do so in the near future. So naturally this issue suddenly became the most important concern in my life at the moment. 😁

I brushed the snow off of the back window and removed the nut holding the wiper arm. I took the tension off of the arm by lifting the blade a little off the glass. Gave the arm a little bump and it popped right off of the tapered spline. Of course I don't have any anti-seize at the house so I had to run over to my shop to get some. I applied some of that to the tapered spline and a little to the threads as well and put it back together. So now my paralyzing fear of having a seized wiper arm that I will probably never have to remove again have been alleviated and I will sleep better tonight. :ROFLMAO:.

Here's a couple of pics of the arm and the insert while I had it off. Not sure how much different my '17 is from the older models, but it should be the same general idea.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I stand corrected. Pulled the arm off again and had a closer look. (My 07.) Under the right light, I could discern a transition between the black plastic and area inside. Whatever it is, it's not magnetic.
(This is close up of the top, same as in Danver's photo. Reddish hue is lighting, not rust.))
View attachment 495197
I would say that the splined piece in the arm is pressed into the hole while the plastic is hot or the piece is hot when it is pressed in That way it stays in there. And of course our local crappy tire doesn’t have a puller in stock so I will have to wait until Monday when I go to Gander where they do have on in stock.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
Here's a couple of pics of the arm and the insert while I had it off. Not sure how much different my '17 is from the older models, but it should be the same general idea.
Same general idea, but definitely not the obvious metal insert of the 2017. Photos of the 3rd gen rear wiper arms on Subaru Parts Online from Subaru of America don't have any sign of the metal including the tapered part. As on mine (below), It's all black, or at least very dark. That's why I was led to think it's all plastic.
wiper.JPG

1 - 20 of 30 Posts