Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:

1) It looks like my rear wiper nut cover fell off (or was ripped off by someone already missing their's)...anyone know if this is just a rubber cap or a molded piece that snaps into place? I found one of each style on the parts sites

2) As I am only a recent Outback owner, I was wondering if any of you folks have had luck with paint touch-up pens? There's a small chip in the paint near my door handle and I'd like to cover it up. Also, best place to find this? Local chains didn't have Subaru listed in on the back of the packages with the other brands, so I was hesitant to use it. When I did an online search I only found them on eBay for ~$20 which seemed a little steep for a paint pen.

Lastly, can I just get these parts at a dealership or will they gouge me???

Thanks!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
And we would be talking about what vehicle?

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
Two questions:

1) It looks like my rear wiper nut cover fell off (or was ripped off by someone already missing their's)...anyone know if this is just a rubber cap or a molded piece that snaps into place? I found one of each style on the parts sites

2) As I am only a recent Outback owner, I was wondering if any of you folks have had luck with paint touch-up pens? There's a small chip in the paint near my door handle and I'd like to cover it up. Also, best place to find this? Local chains didn't have Subaru listed in on the back of the packages with the other brands, so I was hesitant to use it. When I did an online search I only found them on eBay for ~$20 which seemed a little steep for a paint pen.

Lastly, can I just get these parts at a dealership or will they gouge me???

Thanks!
My '05 2.5XT is missing this cap as well.. It's a molded plastic piece that snaps in place and I inquired about ordering just the cap and no deal.. You have to order the entire rear wiper arm assembly..

Steve

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
I have 2013 and while clearing the rear window of snow it fell off. Luckily the black hard plastic thing contrasted well with the freshly fallen snow.

So, it does become disengaged very easy. I used a small black zip tie to secure it, just be sure to put the sharp side down and inside closest o the window, least likely rub against it there. The sharp side is the point made when you cut off the tail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And we would be talking about what vehicle?
Sorry, I have a 2010 Outback 2.5. I was able to find just the cap for the wiper blade on subarupartsforyou.com, but i found a different looking one on subaruonlineparts.com, so i was hoping to find someone w/the same year model who had to replace this as well so i know which one to get.

I've only had it for a month and it fell off, so i honestly didnt even notice it before it was missing...i di however notice the ugly bolt sticking out after it was gone, so i want to fix this ASAP.

Also, anyone with feedback on the paint pens?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can't find the ref, but some forum member has replaced the rear wiper with a Honda Odyssey rear wiper.
The Honda arm is plastic, so it will never rust. Same bolt IIRC and a 1 2 3 swap.

O.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't find the ref, but some forum member has replaced the rear wiper with a Honda Odyssey rear wiper.
The Honda arm is plastic, so it will never rust. Same bolt IIRC and a 1 2 3 swap.

O.

Thanks for the info. I'd really just like to replace the cap and not the whole wiper if I can avoid it. Like I said I did find the cap online, it was just two different styles...one was a rectangular molded piece, the other was a round cap. I'm guessing the round cap is just a cheap "fits all" type of part. I might as well pay the extra $3 for the real part.

Back to other issues...

1) anyone have luck with paint pens and know where I can find one for cheap?

2) has anyone bought the replacement wiper cap and if so some advice as to where (dealership or online)?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,870 Posts
There was a company that made a series of automotive custom color paint pens, and I did have one for my Honda. It worked great - best applicator I've ever found for putting the paint within a chip and not ending up with a mess. Unfortunately when I went to order more colors for different cars, I found they had gone out of business.

If you are lucky enough to find a decent match, I've used Zig Painty 1mm tip pens on cars, painted alloy wheels and a lot of bicycle touch up work. Some of the larger craft stores sell them for around $4.

Amazon.com: Painty Paint Marker 1mm Fine Tip-China Red: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts