Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4 inch ADF lift 215/70/16 BFG's Sparco Wheels
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I have a 97 Legacy L wagon 2.2 auto with a 6 inch lift. I love the car but I need to put some cash into it if I want to keep it going.
But Im also looking at the option of putting the lift on another 96-99 wagon. ( outback or legacy)

Problems with my car-
254,000 miles runs good but I had a problem with the auto transmission and replaced it with a salvage transmission I don't trust
I want to paint the car if I keep it so that would involve fixing a few dents and a small rust spot forming over the windshield.
I need tires, but if I get another subbie I will lift it so tires are a mute point
Old subie needs all of the steering linkages replaced ( tie rods, ball joints ect )
It does have a good engine, top end was rebuilt at 90000 miles
Burns no oil . But I wont drive this car on a long trip ( 500 miles ) because of the transmission

Wondering if I should just buy a 96-99 in better shape and just put my suspension lift on the new subie.
I would look for a manual with decent paint

the other option is just to sell my lifted one as is and NOT have a subie

What would you do?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
seems like your first decision is, do you really need or want the car? then, is it a must have driver, or some fun side project?

another old car - is gonna have an old transmission too. and old suspension, etc.

I suppose, if you run across some minty barn-find or "little old lady" type car, w'ever, go for it.

devil you know vs devil you don't know

on the plus side, you might have some good spares on hand

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really NEED the car, but it keeps me from driving my truck everyday ( 2014 Silverado)

The main thing is the salvage tranny. I really messed up by letting a salvage yard install it. I didn't want to pay the quoted 2800 for a tranny rebuild so I went cheap. Now the tranny in it would need to be rebuilt. Need to find someone who can do an auto rebuild for much less

But yeah, this is mostly for a toy

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
maybe in a new thread, express the problem with the trans - many people have improved trans behavior with 2-3 fluid changes and a bottle of Trans-X on the last fill.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My real concern is they didn't replace with the exact same tranny numbers so the first attempt has torque bind BAD the second one works but I have no idea what it came out of and if the ration matches the differential. but, it doesn't bind

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
subaru trans like this are not worth rebuilding, (and you should not be charged for a full rebuild).

vs. just taking another off a shelf somewhere with a 30 day warranty and dropping it in.

the question being what is gearing best for this particular lifted car.

4EAT are really reliable things and sorry you got a dud. ...torque bind is fixable though,...if you like the choice that is in there today.

(and moved thread to 95-99 land).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im am in Southern California

Lakeside-east of San Diego

Its on Craigslist now. If it doesn't sell in a couple months I will rebuild and repaint

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,048 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Im overpriced. No hit so far. Gonna be dropping the price

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,048 Posts
I think Im overpriced. No hit so far Gonna be dropping the price
you might specify what you got in the 6 inch lift kit with details, and what you paid for all those cool things, particularly important would be if that lift kit could go on other subarus, like newer legacy outbacks, or any foresters, or impreza.

and post it outside of san diego. (probably the fewest subarus anywhere,....and I wonder if someone from colorado or washington state where they love subarus would want to travel to get all those mods with a nearly unrusted car attached to them).

and I hope you can list that the A/C does work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the condenser removed from the A/C and has been for about 5 years. Everything is there. probably needs compressor, condenser, dryer and a charge. If I keep the car I will get it working again

Airbags don't work either. I think that's hopeless to fix

****, I will post it here too

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
sorry to say, way overpriced.

i bought my 1997 outback limited in excellent condition (8/10 in and out), everything works, full service history since new for $1300 from a guy in Hillcrest. clean carpet, no tears on leather seats, and only 2 quarter-sized rust spots. and it had been on craigslist for a few months by that time asking $1500.

$4k is enough to get you into a 2005-2009 Outback here (i'm also in socal)
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/2005-subaru-outback/6248968470.html

looking at the state of your car from the photos and the description, were it my car i'd consider myself very lucky to get $800 for it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looking at the state of your car from the photos and the description, were it my car i'd consider myself very lucky to get $800 for it.

Maybe Im not trying so hard to sell it. Your correct , you can buy subies all day long for 1000-1500.

But how many lifted subies were there available?

That's where the pain in the ass lies if you want something like this.
Just got off the phone with the last fabrication shop that sells lift kits and its starting to look like a four inch lift on my 05 is going to be way to much money and work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts