Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006, Outback XT, 2.5 DOHC Turbo
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 XT w/ the original turbo on it, but it now has 160,000 miles and I think it's time to retire the old gal.
I live in Utah and on a Subaru Utah Facebook page there is a guy who offers turbo rebuilds. I got talking to him and he seems to be solid dude, however I know very little in regards to turbo.

He offered to rebuild my VF40 for like $450-$500. I told him I wanted a turbo that was a bit bigger to give me some more top end power without a tune, he said if he could find one he would rebuild a VF52 with a billet turbine and port it for me as well for $650. That is half the price of the slightly larger than factory bloch billet I was eyeballing. Too good to be true? :surprise:

I read that it takes some pretty specialized equipment to ensure the wheel is balanced.

Can anyone give me some resources or personal thoughts on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Nothing is good without a tune. That part is too good to be true.

Rebuilt and/or modified turbos are perfectly fine and an underrated path to make your car your own. I worked with Blouch turbo in PA onmy Saabaru and it was slick as anything.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing is good without a tune. That part is too good to be true.

Rebuilt and/or modified turbos are perfectly fine and an underrated path to make your car your own. I worked with Blouch turbo in PA onmy Saabaru and it was slick as anything.

I want a tune but it's my daily driver and the cheapest I could find a tune was like $600. My car is high milage and that $600 is better spent on PM.

2nd question, I am mechanically inclined and have no issue changing out a turbo cartridge, is that something you can do on your own turbo?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
I would agree with @isis. The actual center portion can be purchased and the housing assembled to it. I have a high $ Kamak 20g I blew the shaft on. I got curious, took it apart....and viola found I could get a who new center section from Kamak for about $500.

I am starting to thing of getting a back up (trade up) built up and on the shelf here.

BTW, I found a vf 46 last year on ebay for $350. A guy had it delivered to his door by mistake and could not return it...so he didn't care...he wasn't even a car guy. Sometimes you get lucky...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would agree with @isis. The actual center portion can be purchased and the housing assembled to it. I have a high $ Kamak 20g I blew the shaft on. I got curious, took it apart....and viola found I could get a who new center section from Kamak for about $500.

I am starting to thing of getting a back up (trade up) built up and on the shelf here.

BTW, I found a vf 46 last year on ebay for $350. A guy had it delivered to his door by mistake and could not return it...so he didn't care...he wasn't even a car guy. Sometimes you get lucky...
So where do you find these said cartridges? If I could just get a new center for VF40 I would be happy. It is eating some oil but has no other signs of wear. I've checked the blades with an endoscope and the banjo has been removed. It gets new filter and new oil every 3000 miles like clockwork. But I am afraid one day it just gives up on life and in a murder suicide takes my engine with it. :|

·
Master Caster
16,221 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So where do you find these said cartridges? If I could just get a new center for VF40 I would be happy. It is eating some oil but has no other signs of wear. I've checked the blades with an endoscope and the banjo has been removed. It gets new filter and new oil every 3000 miles like clockwork. But I am afraid one day it just gives up on life and in a murder suicide takes my engine with it. :|
Subaru Legacy GT 2005-2007 IHI VF40 CHRA 14411AA51A - XSBoost Turbochargers

VF40 Cartridge with billet upgrade for little less than $500. Scam or no? Second, would I need to balance this new cartridge in the old housing?

·
Master Caster
16,221 Posts
Subaru Legacy GT 2005-2007 IHI VF40 CHRA 14411AA51A - XSBoost Turbochargers

VF40 Cartridge with billet upgrade for little less than $500. Scam or no? Second, would I need to balance this new cartridge in the old housing?
I can't vouch for the $ or the $100 billet upgrade. What's their warranty policy? Most aftermarket **** is 1year. When I bought he Kamak...they told me it would last a year even if I installed it wrong. So, its hard to say. Most things like this are going to have to be quality or they would lose their business.

- XSBoost Turbochargers

They look legit.

The center cartridge is plug and play. All balancing is already done. The turbine and compressor housings, and water lines need to be assembled around the new center.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@traildogck

Has to be installed by an ASE certified mechanic, which I am not. There are some ebay cartridges but man I feel janky about ebay stuff. Can anyone tell me their words of wisdom for ebay.

Are VF52 good upgrades or would I need a major tune and new injectors?

·
Master Caster
16,221 Posts
@traildogck

Has to be installed by an ASE certified mechanic, which I am not. There are some ebay cartridges but man I feel janky about ebay stuff. Can anyone tell me their words of wisdom for ebay.

Are VF52 good upgrades or would I need a major tune and new injectors?
Well you are going to need a tune if you change the size of the turbo. And the 52 is an upgrade and I would say yes on the injectors. Or no...it depends on what you are looking for and your tune/tuner is going to be able to dial that in for you. If you want more power from the 52 upgrade, then you will want to push more fuel to take advantage of the extra boost from the bigger snail. You will want a bigger fuel pump...maybe...

The vf46 I put in Frankie (when the Kamak blew) is in front of a parallel fuel system through a Perrin fuel pressure regulator...5/16" ID fuel lines, Radium Engineering fuel rails and Injector Dynamic 1000s top feed injectors. That is a lot of aftermarket for a 46 to keep up with. Is she making big power, no...is she keeping up. Yep. Is the car faster than the 2005 with a vf40...Yep.

A vf52 is a big upgrade.

BTW...WTF, the center cartridge is not going to work unless there is an ASE patch on my shirt. Shoot...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts