Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It affects Subaru Outback H6 powered cars with the 5EAT transmission only. it is a TCM reflash, takes about 25 minutes to perform.

"Affected vehicles are equipped with an electronically controlled automatic transmission with "Sport" and "Manual" mode features. The "Manual" mode feature allows the driver to manually select the desired transmission gear. The current software logic will not automatically shift the transmission out of the manually selected gear, regardless of engine or vehicle speed, until the driver manually selects a new gear. This may result in the engine operating near over-reving speed which could cause the engine oil to overheat. Continued operation of the vehicle under these conditions may cause engine damage."

Recall # is: WWV-06

·
Registered
181 Posts
Isn't this "defect" what every manumatic tranny driver wants anyway? You know, you want the car to stay in gear as in manual transmission until you are ready to shift up?

I wouldn't get this done. Otherwise, the car will override your gear selection and will act like a true automatic??

Just my thoughts on this. :D

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree...

But I hear there is an issue with the H6 where it will let you downshift even if it will put the RPM in the red zone and it will stay there until you shift back up. Not good :eek:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hmmm I hope they don't do this "improvement" on the Aussie versions. I seriously don't believe the transmission should shift itself up in manual mode unless someone does something stupid like keep it at the redline for 30 seconds or more.

I think that's true what Sly says, it will shift down even if the downshift puts it over the redline. This is strange given that there's so much protection from shifting UP too early...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Aus version follow up

OK so I investigated the manual mode on the drive home last night and coming to work today, on the Aus version at least it won't let you shift down when it would over rev the engine. As soon as the tacho hits 3000 in 2nd the downshift light goes out and it's locked from shifting to 1st. Must be a North American market only problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
stewthebassman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing