Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Premium
75 Posts
Here is a very good article about the recalls straight from Subaru:
Subaru Airbag Recalls | Learn More About Takata Airbag Recalls

Scroll all the way to the bottom to see every model affected. It looks like they're notifying people according to the region of where they live in the states.

My 2011 is affected but it appears I won't be recalled until the fall mainly due to the shortage of parts. They say to avoid people riding in the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
08 OB 3.0R Beaner
413 Posts
Great link, the more I learn about this recall the more questions get answered and more are generated. At least it is just the one air bag, some other vehicles need both replaced.

No need to replace until vehicle is 20yrs old. Sounds good, so it's OK if I don't pay you for your product for 20 years? And of course I only have to pay if the vehicle is one of the few still in use after 20yrs.

The closeness of industry and those that regulate it is a major failing of democratic systems and the 20yr allowance is an excellent example. The product presents an increased risk and does not meet specs, but the industry got the government to agree there is no need to replace all of them. Sure a few more will be injured and die but since we've cut back so much on autopsies chances are no one will really be able to say for sure. And the fact that the company is in compliance with it's recall program it will insulate from the effects of further lawsuits should they occur.

When I look at cases like this, and others where industry decides regulations, I think it is a system that is well beyond needing change.

·
Registered
2008 OB EJ25
15 Posts
Interesting. Some very well thought out comments. Thank you all. The thing that sticks out in my mind the most is that the notice I received said nothing about limiting riders in the front passenger seat. Who did I piss off at Subaru, and how?

·
Registered
52 Posts
As many already know, this recall is back again in the form of TKA20. My 2011 Outback is at the dealer today getting the front passenger airbag inflator replaced...again...after it was initially replaced in 2016 under recall TKA17. The Service Advisor today was real wishy washy about why they had to do it again simply stating this inflator is an upgrade to the inflator installed in 2016.

My personal opinion is that in 2016 they just wanted to get "new" Takata inflators installed in as many vehicles as possible because time is one of the factors that caused the initiator to degrade; the longer it's exposed to heat and humidity the worse it gets. A new inflator would lessen the likelihood of death or injury in the event of front passenger airbag deployment. They knew full well in 2016 they would be replacing all these inflators again. I just wish they would have been upfront and honest about it all back in 2016.

The Service Advisor said the inflator being installed today is not from Takata. Which is kind of obvious as Takata went bankrupt in 2017 and was acquired by Key Safety Systems. They quickly changed the name of the combined company to Joyson Safety Systems. Most of the Takata facilities are still intact, only the name on the building was changed. I just hope the new inflator is not coming off the same assembly line used when Takata was producing the inflators and that this is the last time we have to go thru this.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As many already know, this recall is back again in the form of TKA20. My 2011 Outback is at the dealer today getting the front passenger airbag inflator replaced...again...after it was initially replaced in 2016 under recall TKA17. The Service Advisor today was real wishy washy about why they had to do it again simply stating this inflator is an upgrade to the inflator installed in 2016.

My personal opinion is that in 2016 they just wanted to get "new" Takata inflators installed in as many vehicles as possible because time is one of the factors that caused the initiator to degrade; the longer it's exposed to heat and humidity the worse it gets. A new inflator would lessen the likelihood of death or injury in the event of front passenger airbag deployment. They knew full well in 2016 they would be replacing all these inflators again. I just wish they would have been upfront and honest about it all back in 2016.

The Service Advisor said the inflator being installed today is not from Takata. Which is kind of obvious as Takata went bankrupt in 2017 and was acquired by Key Safety Systems. They quickly changed the name of the combined company to Joyson Safety Systems. Most of the Takata facilities are still intact, only the name on the building was changed. I just hope the new inflator is not coming off the same assembly line used when Takata was producing the inflators and that this is the last time we have to go thru this.
Takata wasn't upfront about it at the time. There are articles you can find about it and yes the idea was- better to a new one of the old design and considerably reduce the risk, while waiting on a new design.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,167 Posts
Takata wasn't upfront about it at the time. There are articles you can find about it and yes the idea was- better to a new one of the old design and considerably reduce the risk, while waiting on a new design.
Pretty concise summary of the reason for doing it twice, plus the timeline of events, here:

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,004 Posts
My 2013 3.6R's passenger-side airbag igniter was replaced in late January 2019 under the TKB19 recall. Thus far, no re-recall has been issued.

I also wonder about my factory driver-side igniter that thus far has never been recalled.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,167 Posts
I also wonder about my factory driver-side igniter that thus far has never been recalled.
Per Subaru, that one isn't a Takata airbag, and it never had the propellant issues that the passenger side had:

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,004 Posts
Thanks for providing that information. Sure hope my 3.6R is done with the airbag fiasco.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts