Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read this before posting a new thread, we have had to close many, many duplicate threads.

If you are concerned, check into my.subaru.com and put in your VIN, it should show you anything your VIN is in the range of.

Steering linkage recall:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/25871-new-recall-nhtsa.html

ABS issue:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/25476-recall-notice-2010-outback-june-2010-a.html

CVT hose:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/24789-2010-recall.html

6-Speed Manual:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/26529-recall-6-speed-manual-transmision.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had my 2010 Outback in for servicing (warranty/recall) three times in less than three weeks. :( Each round trip was about 100 miles (160km) and required a half-day off work (that is, use of vacation time). As you can imagine, I'm not impressed although I'd rather be annoyed than dead.

In addition to the items noted in the quote there is another warranty item: repainting a rusty front wishbone stopper rod.

As for the ABS issue my Canadian dealer says it doesn't apply, which I can't understand because my vehicle (as far as I know) was built in Indiana along with the rest of the 2010 Outbacks. I think my dealer is getting annoyed (the Service Manager has stopped responding to my emails -- probably 4 in total) because I know about recalls and warranty items from this forum :) before they learn about them from Subaru Canada.

Cheers, Stephen

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've had my 2010 Outback in for servicing (warranty/recall) three times in less than three weeks. :( Each round trip was about 100 miles (160km) and required a half-day off work (that is, use of vacation time). As you can imagine, I'm not impressed although I'd rather be annoyed than dead.

In addition to the items noted in the quote there is another warranty item: repainting a rusty front wishbone stopper rod.

As for the ABS issue my Canadian dealer says it doesn't apply, which I can't understand because my vehicle (as far as I know) was built in Indiana along with the rest of the 2010 Outbacks. I think my dealer is getting annoyed (the Service Manager has stopped responding to my emails -- probably 4 in total) because I know about recalls and warranty items from this forum :) before they learn about them from Subaru Canada.

Cheers, Stephen
Stephen,

The cracked ABS module cover issue either occurred at the factory during assembly, or it didn't, and isn't something that can develop over time.

If I recall the original letter, it also implied that they had narrowed down the range of time during which the problem MIGHT have occurred at the factory.

So the "doesn't apply to your car" statement from your dealer might reflect the fact that your car was built outside of the date range during which the problem might have happened. (But if you received the notification e-mail and/or letter, then presumably your car was built during the potential-problem date range.)

But it is also a quick inspection for the dealer to determine if your module actually has the cracked cover. So if your dealer told you your car was unaffected after he looked at it, then he is presumably correct. But if you got the letter, and he didn't even look at the car, then I'd be concerned.

As an aside, you can look at the ABS module cover yourself - it is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The module is part metal and part covered by a black plastic cover, and of course has multiple metal brake lines going in and out of it. It is the black plastic cover piece that may have been cracked - the vertical face of this cover is a little hard to see, but with a flashlight you can do a pretty good inspection of your own, at least enough to tell if there is any sort of urgency to having it looked at "officially".

·
Registered
318 Posts
Please read this before posting a new thread, we have had to close many, many duplicate threads.

If you are concerned, check into my.subaru.com and put in your VIN, it should show you anything your VIN is in the range of.

Steering linkage recall:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/25871-new-recall-nhtsa.html

ABS issue:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/25476-recall-notice-2010-outback-june-2010-a.html

CVT hose:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/24789-2010-recall.html

6-Speed Manual:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-2010-2011-subaru-outback/26529-recall-6-speed-manual-transmision.html

The Steering linkage recall was done last Friday. They replaced the part; btw check for the proper operation of the window Auto switch. Since the battery needs to be disconnected, the feature needs to be “re-programmed/set”. Luckily the window was left down so I noticed when I tried to close the window. The CVT hose was replaced a few weeks ago; no problems with the ABS module cover. :29:

·
Registered
155 Posts
... btw check for the proper operation of the window Auto switch. Since the battery needs to be disconnected, the feature needs to be “re-programmed/set”. Luckily the window was left down so I noticed when I tried to close the window. ...
Thanks for the "heads up" on the auto-window function. This is another thing my dealer missed, along with the radio presets. But then, as the Service Advisor said: "Sorry about that". :(

btw, did you have a look at the front wishbone in the (very front part) engine compartment and is it (or was it) rusty? Repainting it is another warranty item, but not a recall item.

Cheers, Stephen

·
Registered
155 Posts
The cracked ABS module cover issue either occurred at the factory during assembly, or it didn't, and isn't something that can develop over time. ...

As an aside, you can look at the ABS module cover yourself - it is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. ...
Thank you for some very helpful information. I'll check the cover myself this morning.:)

Cheers, Stephen

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The cracked ABS module cover issue either occurred at the factory during assembly, or it didn't, and isn't something that can develop over time.

If I recall the original letter, it also implied that they had narrowed down the range of time during which the problem MIGHT have occurred at the factory.

So the "doesn't apply to your car" statement from your dealer might reflect the fact that your car was built outside of the date range during which the problem might have happened. (But if you received the notification e-mail and/or letter, then presumably your car was built during the potential-problem date range.)

But it is also a quick inspection for the dealer to determine if your module actually has the cracked cover. So if your dealer told you your car was unaffected after he looked at it, then he is presumably correct. But if you got the letter, and he didn't even look at the car, then I'd be concerned.

As an aside, you can look at the ABS module cover yourself - it is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The module is part metal and part covered by a black plastic cover, and of course has multiple metal brake lines going in and out of it. It is the black plastic cover piece that may have been cracked - the vertical face of this cover is a little hard to see, but with a flashlight you can do a pretty good inspection of your own, at least enough to tell if there is any sort of urgency to having it looked at "officially".
Just another data point here. I took our 2010 for this one and my dealer said they'd had a lot of people come through for that recall, but had not yet seen any actual cracked units. So if you got the notice but "didn't qualify" for the recall, that just means that your cover wasn't cracked but there was a possibility based on the data SOA had.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just another data point here. I took our 2010 for this one and my dealer said they'd had a lot of people come through for that recall...
Another thing I just noticed with the steering roll recall battery removal is that the auxiliary power outlets (rear, console, and under radio) don't seem to work. As mentioned in an earlier post the radio presets weren't restore nor was the driver's auto-window. I wonder if there is something else to reprogram. My quick look in the manual didn't turn up anything (obvious to me).

Cheers, Stephen

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the "heads up" on the auto-window function. This is another thing my dealer missed, along with the radio presets. ...
Hello again.... I thought the battery removal might have done something to the accessory power outlets -- I'm really not certain what caused my problem. Anyway, I've just learned there is more than one fuse to the power outlets. A 10 and a 20 were blown/tripped and now, once replaced, everything is back to normal with the power outlets. There seems to be more details on the fuse cover inside the driver compartment. I'm going to get some spares and try to track down the culprit. btw, my dealer did respond to a morning email and tried to solve the problem. :)

Cheers, Stephen

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for the "heads up" on the auto-window function. This is another thing my dealer missed, along with the radio presets. But then, as the Service Advisor said: "Sorry about that". :(

btw, did you have a look at the front wishbone in the (very front part) engine compartment and is it (or was it) rusty? Repainting it is another warranty item, but not a recall item.

Cheers, Stephen
Don’t remind me about the radio presets. At least they could tell you about disconnecting the battery, so you could take notes on the station or use the 9V memory saver :mad:. Hopefully they will remember the auto-window function for the next person. I did not “register” radio presets :(, so I did not make it clear to them to mention it to customers, so that they would also remember for the next costumer :D. Thanks for the heads up for the front wishbone :29: , I will check even though I did not notice when changing the oil. I use lifts @ Hobby Shop (Ft Meade), so I look around under the car while the oil is draining; I was looking as to how different it looks compared to my other previous cars.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Don’t remind me about the radio presets. At least they could tell you about disconnecting the battery, so you could take notes on the station or use the 9V memory saver :mad:. Hopefully they will remember the auto-window function for the next person. I did not “register” radio presets :(, so I did not make it clear to them to mention it to customers, so that they would also remember for the next costumer :D. Thanks for the heads up for the front wishbone :29: , I will check even though I did not notice when changing the oil. I use lifts @ Hobby Shop (Ft Meade), so I look around under the car while the oil is draining; I was looking as to how different it looks compared to my other previous cars.
The 9v memory saver won't work in the Suby unless the leave the key in accessory while disconnecting the battery as the power outlets all go dead when the key is off. I doubt they would do that. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The 9v memory saver won't work in the Suby unless the leave the key in accessory while disconnecting the battery as the power outlets all go dead when the key is off. I doubt they would do that. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Thanks for the info. It will come handy in case I ever need to disconnect the battery. :29:

·
Registered
318 Posts
What is the 9 volt memory saver? How is it used?
It is a gadget that you can use to “save” the radio or other electronic memory settings when you disconnect the car battery. One side connects to the cigarette lighter or power port, and the other connects to a 9 V battery. :29:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Service program WVT-30
Engine Control Module Reprograming

Any body have any more info about it?

I'm a little concern about one sentence in the letter.
"This software change will not adversely affect fuel economy or performance."

So what is wrong with existing software?

1 - 20 of 244 Posts
About this Discussion
243 Replies
134 Participants
timeandscore
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing