Registered
318 Posts
Just got the windshield wiper motor cover replaced on the 2010 Outback. :29:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I setup appt for Dec 8th, service looks like is overbooked
I need only wiper motor related fix
Dunno if it helps anyone here, but when I tried to "schedule" this recall work on my OB they were booking out two months. I drove by the dealer, popped in and they said "just bring it by, don't schedule it. If we have time we'll work it in". They were able to do it on the spot in 30 minutes.

Might help you get this done faster. You also get a chance to look at the eye candy on the floor, dangerous... :smile2:

- waterfowl

·
Registered
102 Posts
Finally had the passenger side air bag fixed.
:smile2:
I just learned about this (via a bulletin coming to me in the mail) a couple days ago. My bulletin (2012 Outback) says that the replacement part won't be available until December, and I shouldn't have any passengers in the front seat until then. This is insane!

When you say finally, I take it you'd been waiting a while? Wonder why I just got the notice now, and wonder why there aren't any parts available. Will have to call and see if that is true.

The bulletin also says if I can't handle the no passenger thing, to call dealer for alternative transpo options. I don't really want to drive a car that's not mine for 9 months, but I also imagine such an arrangement wouldn't be cheap for the dealer. I was planning on buying a new Outback in 2-3 years, I wonder if I could get a steep discount on such a purchase now, given what they'd be out for a 9 month loaner. I know there are settlements levied against the airbag manufacturer for a lot of money, which should mean Subaru could maybe absorb such a cost comfortably. Any thoughts? Just rambling and curious if anybody else has any experience with this situation. Will probably call a local dealer soon...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just learned about this (via a bulletin coming to me in the mail) a couple days ago. My bulletin (2012 Outback) says that the replacement part won't be available until December, and I shouldn't have any passengers in the front seat until then. This is insane!

When you say finally, I take it you'd been waiting a while? Wonder why I just got the notice now, and wonder why there aren't any parts available. Will have to call and see if that is true.

The bulletin also says if I can't handle the no passenger thing, to call dealer for alternative transpo options. I don't really want to drive a car that's not mine for 9 months, but I also imagine such an arrangement wouldn't be cheap for the dealer. I was planning on buying a new Outback in 2-3 years, I wonder if I could get a steep discount on such a purchase now, given what they'd be out for a 9 month loaner. I know there are settlements levied against the airbag manufacturer for a lot of money, which should mean Subaru could maybe absorb such a cost comfortably. Any thoughts? Just rambling and curious if anybody else has any experience with this situation. Will probably call a local dealer soon...[/QUOT

I have a 2010 Outback and from what I gather they are fixing the oldest in certain areas first where there is humidity. I waited since last May I believe when I first heard of it. It upset me, no one wants to ride in the back. I forget how many cars need this repair some where around 4,000,000 that is a lot of parts.

Call your dealer and get on a list to have it done.
:|

·
Registered
83 Posts

The bulletin also says if I can't handle the no passenger thing, to call dealer for alternative transpo options. I don't really want to drive a car that's not mine for 9 months, but I also imagine such an arrangement wouldn't be cheap for the dealer. I was planning on buying a new Outback in 2-3 years, I wonder if I could get a steep discount on such a purchase now, given what they'd be out for a 9 month loaner. I know there are settlements levied against the airbag manufacturer for a lot of money, which should mean Subaru could maybe absorb such a cost comfortably. Any thoughts? Just rambling and curious if anybody else has any experience with this situation. Will probably call a local dealer soon...[/QUOT

I have a 2010 Outback and from what I gather they are fixing the oldest in certain areas first where there is humidity. I waited since last May I believe when I first heard of it. It upset me, no one wants to ride in the back. I forget how many cars need this repair some where around 4,000,000 that is a lot of parts.

Call your dealer and get on a list to have it done.
:|
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> Newbie.I am here in Southern California. Yesterday late afternoon I called three dealerships and I was told the wait for the bags is about two to four weeks. None of them offered loaner. Thanks for the info.
I was set to buy my first subaru, a 2017 Impreza w/eyesight/moonroof, but I saw and pulled the trigger on this 2010 OB 2.5i Limited deal via craigslist. Now I just found out about the recalls, I am pissed. Oh well, I should have done my research. Duh! Your idea of asking Subaru HQ if there are trade-in incentives available is good, however HQ does not have option as of today. Oh, I also was told by HQ that the car rental is "by request only by affected customers"....a $50/day rental is allowed. SoF customer service left a message to my local dealership about my concerns, and guess what? A few hours later, I called the same dealership and I was told their new shipment of airbags just came in! My appt is next week and I'll be provided a rental car for the day.

For now, while waiting....I'll try to enjoy the OB. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

·
Registered
102 Posts
SoF customer service left a message to my local dealership about my concerns, and guess what? A few hours later, I called the same dealership and I was told their new shipment of airbags just came in! My appt is next week and I'll be provided a rental car for the day.
Forgive my ignorance, what is SoF in this context? Glad to hear it got sorted out for you. I have yet to call a dealer, I've sent a few emails and got zero responses. Classic. You know I would have got immediate responses if I was looking to buy. Will have to get on the phone soon. :-/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought, I'd share my experience for those who are interested. I took care of the all my outstanding recalls (airbag, wiper motor and a burnt out headlight) in Northern California on a single day mid-December. Received the airbag recall letter in the mail 6 months prior to that, waited for the availability and could only make the appointment 3 weeks out once I found parts a available already.

I wouldn't rely on dealer "availability" call back lists. I was on list with 3 separate dealers and never got a call back. Yet, one day, when I called a 4th dealer and asked I wanted to make an appointment for the recall, they just gave me a date 3 weeks out.

I was told this dealer will only perform the recalls during the week. Week before the appointment, I got a call asking if I want to give up my place as they have 3 Outbacks booked for the day and Subaru of America is now giving them daily allowance of 2 x OB airbags. My options were; either to give up my space and get pushed another month or to take my chances and hope I show up before at least one of the other OB owners booked for the day. I showed up on time for my 8am appointment before the others and by 2pm I got a call everything was ready.

Dealer had 2 Foresters booked the same day for the airbag recall along with the 2 OBs. I was told none of the other OB owners actually returned to the voicemail but myself. When the 3rd OB showed up, they had to push that for another date as "there were no parts left for the day".

They are now talking about tens of millions of airbags being recalled across 19 car makers. It's frustrating but I honestly don't know what I would do if I were in the dealers' shoes. I'm just glad I got mine out of the way and hope you all can get this done quick. I didn't worry about loaner even though dealer offered for the day of the repairs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, what is SoF in this context? Glad to hear it got sorted out for you. I have yet to call a dealer, I've sent a few emails and got zero responses. Classic. You know I would have got immediate responses if I was looking to buy. Will have to get on the phone soon. :-/
SoA customer rep that took my call was pleasant to talk to. I told her that this was my first subaru and the reason I bought it was due to it's safety record. I explained that after knowing the tanaka airbag recall, I immediately called multiple dealerships and asked to be on the waiting list. She saw that my location was zone A(?) and needed the replacement asap and she assured me that I will be taken care of. So she called and left a message to the service manager of a dealership nearest my location. The lady also promised to call me for an update. She did call and left me the good news via my voicemail.

I'd suggest that you call SoA and politely tell them your situation. Perhaps they can get the ball rolling for you especially if you're in zone A, I think. I saw a map of affected states/areas somewhere online and zone "A" says 6-9 years after production. I interpret that as within 6-9 years, the airbag degradation increases due to location.i could be wrong.

Call your local dealerships and insist on talking to a service manager, not just a regular service advisor. Ensure to take the manager's name and direct phone line. Good luck, The111.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FWIW, I just recently received the airbag recall notice from SOA. It lists me as Zone A - PG 7. I called my dealer today and they said the next airbag appt. they had available was 4/28 so I took it. That is only 3 weeks out...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just got recall letter about passenger airbag for my OB 13
when this recall was announced my VIN wasn't part of it, so I though I'm Ok
now in the letter it states I should check with dealership asap as airbed deployment might cause death to a passenger due to small sharp parts

is it the same as original recall or some new?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just received a recall notice for 2013-14 electronic e-brake failure for manual transmission. Also states there are not available parts to fix.

·
Registered
840 Posts
MyCarFax just notified me my 2012 Limited is now under recall for the airbags. Due to northern climate it was not part of the original recall, but it has now been expanded. I went to NHTSA and typed in my VIN to confirm and yes - it's there.

mysubaru.com has not yet been updated - says I have no active recalls - and I haven't yet received a letter from Subaru either.

Jan 09,2019
Manufacturer Recall NumberTKB19
NHTSA Recall Number19V000000

Summary
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2010-2014 Legacy, Tribeca, WRX and Outback vehicles, 2010-2013 Forester vehicles and 2010-2011 Impreza vehicles sold, or ever registered, in the states of Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these inflators may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.

Safety Risk
An explosion of an inflator within the passenger frontal air bag module may result in sharp metal fragments striking the front seat passenger, driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

Remedy
Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front passenger air bag inflator, free of charge. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is TKB-19. Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Manufacturer's Notes
For additional information, please contact your dealer or visit Subaru.com/contact us. http://www.subaru.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OBDad, I went to the dealership to get an oil change this morning and they told me of the air bag recall. I had not received a notification from Subaru yet either. They had the new airbag on hand and changed mine out.

201 - 220 of 244 Posts
About this Discussion
243 Replies
134 Participants
timeandscore
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing